Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not Receiving Cell Phone Text Messages on my Mac (Messages)

Only some cell phone text messages can be received on my MacBook through Messages. I vaguely have an understanding that, maybe, Messages only works with iPhone or something. Yet, my cell phone seems to receive text messages from anyone that has any type of cell phone.

So.... how can we make this work for my Messages on my MacBook? I'm guessing people with an Android phone cannot send a text messages to my Messages on my MacBook.

Is there a solution?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.4

Posted on May 30, 2022 7:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2022 8:30 PM

Yes, if you set up with the following steps:

iMessage checklist

iPhone and Mac both logged in to same Apple ID. Try logging off and logging on if necessary.

iPhone Settings => Messages shows iMessage as "on" (sometimes toggling this off and then on fixes some things)

iPhone Settings => Messages shows Send & Receive showing both phone number and email (Apple ID)

iPhone Settings => Messages shows Text Message Forwarding and your Mac is listed and shown as "on" there.

iPhone Settings => Messages shows Send as SMS "on" and MMS Messaging and Group Messaging both "on"

On the Mac: Messages => Preferences shows same and correct Apple ID and "You can be reached for messages at" indicates both phone number and Apple ID (email), and "start new conversations from" indicates the phone number.

* Don't see the Text Message Forwarding setting on your iPhone? Go to Settings > Messages, turn off iMessage, turn it back on, tap Send & Receive, tap Use Your Apple ID for iMessage, then sign in with the same Apple ID used on your other devices.

How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2022 8:30 PM in response to silver_mica

Yes, if you set up with the following steps:

iMessage checklist

iPhone and Mac both logged in to same Apple ID. Try logging off and logging on if necessary.

iPhone Settings => Messages shows iMessage as "on" (sometimes toggling this off and then on fixes some things)

iPhone Settings => Messages shows Send & Receive showing both phone number and email (Apple ID)

iPhone Settings => Messages shows Text Message Forwarding and your Mac is listed and shown as "on" there.

iPhone Settings => Messages shows Send as SMS "on" and MMS Messaging and Group Messaging both "on"

On the Mac: Messages => Preferences shows same and correct Apple ID and "You can be reached for messages at" indicates both phone number and Apple ID (email), and "start new conversations from" indicates the phone number.

* Don't see the Text Message Forwarding setting on your iPhone? Go to Settings > Messages, turn off iMessage, turn it back on, tap Send & Receive, tap Use Your Apple ID for iMessage, then sign in with the same Apple ID used on your other devices.

How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac - Apple Support

May 30, 2022 9:47 PM in response to silver_mica

silver_mica wrote:

@steve626 - that was massively helpful. Yes, all my devices are the same Apple ID. Running down the list that you provided looks like I just needed to turn on "Send as SMS" (on my iPhone). Okay, hopefully that'll do the trick. Thanks!

The system when set up properly usually works well, but sometimes something needs to be reset. For instance, the other day my wife's iMac (Monterey) stopped receiving texts from non-Apple devices, but was receiving texts from Apple devices. (All these texts were received properly on her iPhone). The solution was simply to log her out of the Apple ID within Messages Preferences on her Mac and then log her back in. Everything then resumed working as it should. Something like this can happen from time to time but a simple log out and then re-log in or something similar is often the simple "fix."

Not Receiving Cell Phone Text Messages on my Mac (Messages)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.