Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microsoft Office 2019

Greetings,

I have a MacBook Pro (mid2012) running MacOS Catalina and Microsoft Office 2019. I have recently read that the operating system requirements for office are n-2 which is similar to Apple. Does this mean office will stop working properly when MacOS Catalina becomes n-3…? I only bought office in 2019 and resent having to buy a new computer or office version, and refuse to subscribe to 365 and use iCloud. Obviously upgrading to MacOS beyond Catalina is not possible for me… so if anyone knows the answer to this other than ditching Microsoft I would thank them in advance.

CK-Mac

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 31, 2022 3:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2022 9:39 AM

Microsoft supports the current operating system, and the previous two major releases, same as Apple. Presently, Microsoft continues to provide Office autoupdates on Catalina and later, but at some point this Fall after Apple releases macOS.next, Microsoft will support Big Sur and later.

What the preceding implies for you on Catalina is that you can continue to use Office 2019 for Mac, but after Big Sur becomes the base operating system supported by Microsoft, then you will no longer receive updates for your version of Office. You would be blocked from reinstalling Office 2019 on your Mac if you removed it for any reason.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 31, 2022 9:39 AM in response to Community User

Microsoft supports the current operating system, and the previous two major releases, same as Apple. Presently, Microsoft continues to provide Office autoupdates on Catalina and later, but at some point this Fall after Apple releases macOS.next, Microsoft will support Big Sur and later.

What the preceding implies for you on Catalina is that you can continue to use Office 2019 for Mac, but after Big Sur becomes the base operating system supported by Microsoft, then you will no longer receive updates for your version of Office. You would be blocked from reinstalling Office 2019 on your Mac if you removed it for any reason.

Microsoft Office 2019

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.