Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBookPro 16-inch TouchBar display no longer on (completely black display but commands still work!)

About a month ago the TouchBar became splotchy - best I can describe it is as if it had blue ink bleed. After a couple of weeks it spread and now the display is completely black. Not even a little bit of backlight showing through on the touchbar. This happened all of a sudden and there was no accidental spillage or damage may I add!

The bar works if I remember where commands are, but of course when I change app this becomes trickier and ideally I would like my bar to work and have display!

I have already tried all the below fixes so please do not comment these (to save you time):

• Restart device
  • SMC restart
  • Refresh Touch Bar and Control Strip on Activity Monitor by quitting them
  • Reset Touch Bar and Control Strip on Terminal
  • Ran First Aid on Disk Utility

None of the above have changed anything at all.

Any advice is appreciated as I have only found a couple of these cases online and neither of them updated on whether they found a solution or not.

Thank you so much in advance!

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.4

Posted on May 31, 2022 3:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2022 5:26 PM

imatoaster97 wrote:

• About a month ago the TouchBar became splotchy - best I can describe it is as if it had blue ink bleed. After a couple of weeks it spread and now the display is completely black. Not even a little bit of backlight showing through on the touchbar. This happened all of a sudden and there was no accidental spillage or damage may I add!

The bar works if I remember where commands are, but of course when I change app this becomes trickier and ideally I would like my bar to work and have display!

I have already tried all the below fixes so please do not comment these (to save you time):

Restart device
• SMC restart

Any advice is appreciated as I have only found a couple of these cases online and neither of them updated on whether they found a solution or not.

If this is a Intel 2019 MBP 16"...

Try both resetting the SMC How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

and resetting NVRAM/PRAM Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

(get at least two-three rounds of the chimes when holding the NRAM Reset)

If no resolve it typically indicates a hardware issue.

Learn how to get your Mac fixed and how much it will cost. Mac Repair - Official Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 31, 2022 5:26 PM in response to imatoaster97

imatoaster97 wrote:

• About a month ago the TouchBar became splotchy - best I can describe it is as if it had blue ink bleed. After a couple of weeks it spread and now the display is completely black. Not even a little bit of backlight showing through on the touchbar. This happened all of a sudden and there was no accidental spillage or damage may I add!

Restart device
• SMC restart

If this is a Intel 2019 MBP 16"...

Try both resetting the SMC How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

and resetting NVRAM/PRAM Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

(get at least two-three rounds of the chimes when holding the NRAM Reset)

If no resolve it typically indicates a hardware issue.

Learn how to get your Mac fixed and how much it will cost. Mac Repair - Official Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

MacBookPro 16-inch TouchBar display no longer on (completely black display but commands still work!)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.