Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notes Toolbar disappears randomly after iOS 15.5 update

I updated my iOS two days ago and began seeing this problem where the toolbar on top would simply disappear and wouldn’t come back unless I exit the note and return. And sometimes even that doesn’t work.

Opening a new note does bring the toolbar back but eventually it does the disappearing act again if I exit to Home Screen then reenter or copy paste things in. However, neither action can be pinpointed as a trigger though.

Before the update, I didn’t have this issue at all. I’ve looked at and tried most of the solutions suggested but nothing I’ve seen so far fixes this problem. So I’m wondering if anyone knows of one? Or if this is related to the update?

Posted on May 31, 2022 6:33 PM

3 replies

Jun 1, 2022 12:46 PM in response to midwinteroasis

Hi midwinteroasis,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're having an issue with your Notes app after updating your iOS. We'd like to help.

Just to confirm, when you say the toolbar on top, are you referring to the predictive text options are or are you talking about the the Menu bar at the top of the display? We just want to make sure we're on the same page to help.

If you're referring to predictive text, does it stop working on the same line each time or is it random? If you do not add the "]" bracket, does the predictive text still appear? Make sure that your predictive text is set up correctly on your device. This resource can help you look into that: How to use Auto-Correction and predictive text on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If it's set up correctly, these troubleshooting steps may help get this resolved: If an app on your iPhone or iPad stops responding, closes unexpectedly, or won’t open

Let us know how that goes and we'll go from there.

Take care!

Jun 1, 2022 11:03 PM in response to ColleenD1

Hi ColleenD1,

thanks for the welcome and for replying!

With regards to the toolbar, it’s definitely not predictive text—that one is still there and working nicely. Thank you though for the link and advice about fixing predictive text, it may come in handy in the future.

I’m not sure if the menu bar at the top of the display which you mentioned is what I’m thinking about but it’s the one where it gives you the options to create tables, edit text, add checklist, add pictures, draw tool (I’ve attached a screenshot just so there’s no confusion)

I’ve been testing to see what triggers it and apparently, if I leave the keyboard up in notes and then switch to Home Screen or to other apps (basically as long as I leave notes), when I go back to notes, the keyboard is still there but the toolbar disappears.

if, however, I press ‘done’ after typing (the keyboard disappears) before I switch to Home Screen or other apps, the toolbar is still there when I return to notes and bring the keyboard back up.

Seems kind of like the keyboard bugs out but I don’t know enough >< Any ideas?

thanks!

Notes Toolbar disappears randomly after iOS 15.5 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.