Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

My Apple CarPlay is making a static/crackling sound and I don’t know how to fix it.

mu Apple CarPlay is making a static/crackling sound when playing music. Does anyone know how to fix this? I have a iPhone 13 pro if that matters.

Posted on Jun 1, 2022 6:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2022 4:57 PM

I have the same issues as @Charlie2167. I have a 2021 Nissan Murano. I am experiencing terrible static during voice calls only. No issue with music. I’ve tried plugging into the USB-C port as well as the USB-A port. I also tried with different MFI approved cables, but no improvement. I also tried with different phones (iPhone XR and iPhone 12 Pro), but same issues. I did not have this issue with my previous vehicle (2018 Nissan Maxima). I would love to have this issue resolved.

109 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2022 4:57 PM in response to Charlie2167

I have the same issues as @Charlie2167. I have a 2021 Nissan Murano. I am experiencing terrible static during voice calls only. No issue with music. I’ve tried plugging into the USB-C port as well as the USB-A port. I also tried with different MFI approved cables, but no improvement. I also tried with different phones (iPhone XR and iPhone 12 Pro), but same issues. I did not have this issue with my previous vehicle (2018 Nissan Maxima). I would love to have this issue resolved.

Jul 15, 2022 2:10 PM in response to Baileyhubb8

I’ve been having the same problem. I have no problem with music through Apple CarPlay. It’s just phone calls. There is so much static and crackling that I can’t hear the caller. The car dealer couldn’t find anything wrong. I’ve tried using the USB-c port and the USB port. I’ve tried different cables and brand new cables. I even bought a brand new phone and still the same problem. I would love a solution!

Jun 2, 2022 8:07 AM in response to Baileyhubb8

Hi Baileyhubb8,

Thanks for your post to Apple Support Communities. Let's rule out what might be going on to cause the static you hear when playing music through CarPlay.

First, make sure your iOS is fully updated to iOS 15.5. Go to Settings > General > Software Update.

Next, make sure that your CarPlay stereo is using the latest firmware from the car manufacturer. Check your car's manual for more information.

If the issue still isn't resolved, reply back letting us know if you also hear static when playing music through your iPhone speaker, headphones, or another Bluetooth accessory (speaker, not CarPlay). Also test other audio through CarPlay from your iPhone like phone calls or videos. The goal will be to narrow down what the static is related to.

We look froward to hearing back from you.

Best regards.

Aug 21, 2023 4:07 PM in response to Baileyhubb8

Same issue with both an iPhone XS Max and a iPhone XR wired to CarPlay on a Seat Arona 2018 (factory HeadUnit).

Latest software on vehicle and phones.

Screen is really clear and responsive, but if playing music via any app, the audio starts off clear and distortion starts to plague the sound within only a minute or two of playback.

I am an electronics engineer by trade and my initial suspicion was an over-heating power-amplifier in the head unit.

However as this problem, going by this thread, affects many vehicle makes, each with different Head Unit electronics hardware, I very much doubt it is a hardware common fault as the chances of that are virtually implausible. It definitely points to how Apple have configured the CarPlay software and it sounds like CarPlay cannot buffer the data in quick enough.

I suspect it is a simple case that Apple CarPlay has a data through-put limitation, probably due to Apples usual over-the-top security restrictions, that cause the data buffer to empty and the databus cannot keep up with demand. Hence the screen and functionality remain functional but the audio begins to contain error and missing data packets as it tries and fails to keep up with demand for visuals and audio over the one USB cable.

What is really odd though is that when the distortion starts, it muddies the audio but it doesn’t get progressively worse.

Long story short, Apple will never admit liability on these forums for anything but it is 200% an Apple Software issue and no fault of the vehicle hardware or manufacturer.

Just waiting for an advert on TV to pop up with a “Have you been mis-sold Apple Car Play in your vehicle between X and Y date, if so you could make a claim for thousands of your car!” topic 😂👍

Dec 20, 2022 11:04 AM in response to angedecicco

I sent my iPhone 14 ProMax back as the car play will not work the crackling and distorted sound was doing my head and having to keep plugging it in and unplugging it was not good for my lightning port all it does is just lower the lifespan of it having to keep plugging and unplugging it I spoke to Apple and they act like they've never heard of this problem before I just gave up I have no just bought a Samsung watch 5 Pro and a z fold 4 use the Samsung phone today in my van via Android auto and didn't have one problem on a 4-hour journey

Jun 27, 2022 6:08 PM in response to Soosie_J215

Hello, lots of people have the same issue!

I recently bought Infinity qx 60 2022.

so when you connect you phone via bluetooth and listen to music there is NO static/ crackling sound, but when your iphone connected through wireless apple car play, there is static sound while playing music.

so the issue is not in speakers!

the issue is with apple carplay.

my phone (iphone 12 pro max) has the latest software available.

And as for carplay software: dealer told me that is also the latest available. They also confirm that there are a lot of cases of static sound and as they told me They are waiting for a software update from Apple where it will be fixed, so I want to be sure that Apple is aware of that issue. ARE YOU?

Imagine how bad is it to buy a new car and not being able to listen to the music? Bluetooth is jot an option since I always using iphone navigator and and it connected via wireless car play and it is impossible to use carplay and to listen to the music via bluetooth separately.

Aug 19, 2022 2:46 PM in response to jae3po

I have the same issue on my 2020 Murano Platinum. Music works fine, but with cabled airplay it’s complete garbage. My Bluetooth has an issue with notifications. When my phone is playing music and a notification isn’t silenced it beeps loud and somehow makes my volume go to max. Crazy issue and so annoying. I have an iPhone 13 pro max.

today I tried using my iPhone 11 from work with the cabled airplay and it worked with no issues on the phone call. Perhaps it’s only effecting newer model iPhones? Idk but I’ve taken it to nissan several times to complain and they update the software but it doesn’t do much. Apple needs to address the issue.

Feb 21, 2023 10:56 AM in response to Baileyhubb8

Hi, I have the same issue. I have a 2023 Nissan Pathfinder.

I find that this issue only happens when I'm connected to CarPlay via USB only (wireless is working great).

I also noticed that this only happens when I'm using maps or waze and listening to music.

If I'm listening to music without maps/waze i don't have any issues. (even with USB CarPlay).

Seems to be a Nissan problem as most people here complaining with Nissan brand.

I wish this would have a quick fix as i don't like wireless CarPlay....

Aug 19, 2022 1:51 PM in response to Senseileo

I have a 2021 Nissan Leaf and Ford F-150 and am experiencing the same thing. I've run a few extra tests:

• On the Leaf - Using a shielded cable, switching between USB-C and USB-A connections (no effect - garbled audio sometimes)
  • On the Leaf - Using CarPlay with wifi off, or in airplane mode, trying to initiate Siri (no change - garbled audio sometimes)
  • Listening closely to the audio output on my vehicles when in CarPlay audio streaming (E.g., music) vs Siri/phone calls
    • There is definitely a different audio quality on both vehicles when in Siri/phone calls, as compared to listening to an audio book. If I had to guess, it's using different CODECs. bit rates, stereo vs mono, or bidirectional vs unidirectional channels.
    • On the Leaf, the audio quality on Siri/calls is either almost exactly the same, or incredibly choppy. It doesn't matter whether Siri is saying that there is no internet connection, or I'm making a call, etc. Once it seems to get into a bad state, it will stay like that unless I unplug and replug the phone, and most of the time, it won't work nicely until I restart the car. People on the other end of calls also say it sounds horrible.
    • On the F-150, the audio quality seems to be a little bit worse, but entirely understandable and consistent and everyone always hears me well as long as cell reception is good.

My Apple CarPlay is making a static/crackling sound and I don’t know how to fix it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.