Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2021 with Apple M1 Pro connection to 2 external monitors

I have a MacBook Pro 2021 with Apple M1 Pro chip. I use an adapter with two HDMI ports to connect two monitors. I only get 2 duplicate screens. Displays in "system preference" can only recognize one monitor. What should I do to connect 2 external monitors?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Jun 1, 2022 1:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2022 3:59 PM

You are right. I bought a cable with ThunderBolt to HDMI for connection between monitor and Macbook additionally. It is working now.

It looks like one ThunderBolt port in Macbook only supports one monitor. To me it is very inconvenient since I need to dock Macbook somewhere. With 2 cables, every time I need to plug in 2 times. Do not know why Apple is doing this :-(.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2022 3:59 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

You are right. I bought a cable with ThunderBolt to HDMI for connection between monitor and Macbook additionally. It is working now.

It looks like one ThunderBolt port in Macbook only supports one monitor. To me it is very inconvenient since I need to dock Macbook somewhere. With 2 cables, every time I need to plug in 2 times. Do not know why Apple is doing this :-(.

Jun 2, 2022 4:22 PM in response to twomonitorss

The information I posted (two monitors, each with its own cable plugged in USBC ports of the MacBookPro, works jut fine). The statement by Grant "Macs support multiple displays on one cable when that cable and the first device are genuine ThunderBolt devices" is too restricting (requires the monitors to be daisy chained, a setup not required by my machine (2021, Intel CPU)

Jun 2, 2022 4:32 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I would never expect to find someone negating my experience for lack of pictures, so let me assure you without providing any pictures: I am using two (parallel) cables with HDMI connectors on one end and USBC on the other. The two USBC cables are plugged in two (only) two ports on the left side of my Macbook PRO

I do not want to continue this discussion - apologies for disturbing your peace.

MacBook Pro 2021 with Apple M1 Pro connection to 2 external monitors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.