Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What’s this number?

Why am I seeing a number next to iPhone in my settings

iPhone 11, iOS 15

Posted on Jun 2, 2022 6:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2022 7:00 AM

Go to Settings/General/about and look at the name of your phone. If it is “iPhone” change it to something unique. It’s best to choose a name that doesn’t identify you to protect your privacy, such as “John von Neumann” (NB: I’m currently reading a biography of this creator of the design of the modern computer).

If your phone is simply named “iPhone”, anywhere it is mentioned iOS adds a number after it to distinguish one “iPhone” from another,

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2022 7:00 AM in response to Zero_t_DFW

Go to Settings/General/about and look at the name of your phone. If it is “iPhone” change it to something unique. It’s best to choose a name that doesn’t identify you to protect your privacy, such as “John von Neumann” (NB: I’m currently reading a biography of this creator of the design of the modern computer).

If your phone is simply named “iPhone”, anywhere it is mentioned iOS adds a number after it to distinguish one “iPhone” from another,

What’s this number?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.