Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac has started One beep every 5 seconds when I try to switch it on. Other than the beep nothing else happens, no start-up, nothing Any ideas?

Other than the beep nothing else happens, no start-up, nothing! Can anyone suggest a fix or tell me what I need to do? Any ideas would be very welcome. Thank you.

Posted on Jun 2, 2022 8:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2022 8:48 AM

Thanks for advice so far...

I can't get it to do anything except beep. It doesn't boot up - the screen remains black and it just keeps beeping. (We have returned from being abroad since Sept 2019 and being stuck because of Covid pandemic. Now it just beeps at me. Do I need to take it to an Apple shop or is there anything I can do in the first instance. It was working when we left and no-one has touched the memory or anything else.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2022 8:48 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks for advice so far...

I can't get it to do anything except beep. It doesn't boot up - the screen remains black and it just keeps beeping. (We have returned from being abroad since Sept 2019 and being stuck because of Covid pandemic. Now it just beeps at me. Do I need to take it to an Apple shop or is there anything I can do in the first instance. It was working when we left and no-one has touched the memory or anything else.

Jun 2, 2022 9:00 AM in response to Poppet101

Can you estimate the model year it is? If it's anything before 2015 I wouldn't take it in for repair for several reasons:

1. It is considered vintage by Apple which means replacement parts are not available and an Apple Store will not work on it.
  2. It has no monetary value left and will not run current versions of Mac OS and your third party apps cannot be updated. Spending money on an old computer makes no sense, if you manage to get it repaired that means you still have a computer that is vintage and has no value.
  3. It simply has seen it's day and it is time to be replaced.

However if it is a 27" then remove the RAM and re-seat it. By the way, did you upgrade the RAM yourself if so, what brand of RAM is installed?

My Mac has started One beep every 5 seconds when I try to switch it on. Other than the beep nothing else happens, no start-up, nothing Any ideas?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.