Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

volume on iMac increases by itself

For about a year now the volume on my iMac desktop increases itself every few minutes. We lower the sound with the keyboard buttons--this only works occasionally, and with the slider in the sound utility and with the slider on the menu bar. These usually work for a minute or two, and then the volume creeps back up. I have read that some apps will trigger this--well, it happens when we use Safari. All other apps are closed--no one has suggested what Apps might cause the problem. I see in the comments this issue goes way back to 2007. It is soooooo frustrating, and apparently pretty common based on the questions asked on various Mac forums. I am running 12.4 (the upgrade changed nothing) on a 3.5GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 and start up with the Mac HD. No peripherals attached except an external backup drive by LaCie. HELP!

Posted on Jun 2, 2022 2:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2022 5:19 PM

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2022 5:19 PM in response to SKGaquin

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

volume on iMac increases by itself

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.