Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Purchased Books open on iPad but not on MacBook Pro

All the books I have purchased I have previously been able to read on my iPad, iPhone and MacBook Pro.

Now, when launched on my MacBook Pro (Early 2015, Monterey 12.4) all these books give the following error:

"Cannot Open “(Title}" "It is formatted incorrectly, or is not a format that Apple Books can open."

Strangely, some purchased books which I have read are tagged "New" and these will open.

All others tagged "Finished" or a percentage read will not open.

Accessing them via the bookstore (choosing Read or Sample) results in the error above.

PDFs I have imported to Books continue to open OK.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 2, 2022 5:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2022 6:08 PM

Yes it was, but I just found the "problem" - I had to re-authorize my Mac, even though it had never been de-authorized.

Cannot open book "It is formatted incorre… - Apple Community

But another thing: Apple does not tell you which devices are authorised, only the number of them. In my case 5 are authorised, but I have only 4 (iPhone, iPad, Mac mini, MacBook Pro) plus 2 Apple TVs ... maybe they count too? Why can't Apple just list the devices?

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2022 6:08 PM in response to Forever_Eagle

Yes it was, but I just found the "problem" - I had to re-authorize my Mac, even though it had never been de-authorized.

Cannot open book "It is formatted incorre… - Apple Community

But another thing: Apple does not tell you which devices are authorised, only the number of them. In my case 5 are authorised, but I have only 4 (iPhone, iPad, Mac mini, MacBook Pro) plus 2 Apple TVs ... maybe they count too? Why can't Apple just list the devices?

Purchased Books open on iPad but not on MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.