Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air tech

Left Shift Key doesn't work MacBook Air

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Jun 2, 2022 9:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2022 4:00 AM

I am very please the more Language Switch Keyboard Layout Expert has joined in @ Tom Gewecke

Worth testing as suggested with external KB.

As for Screen Protectors - definitely Non. The Machine Tolerances between the Chassis of the computer and the Screen when it is closed is sooooo small that even a seemingly little object on the Screen or keyboard may damages

The only thing I use is the Original Paper covering that was on the Keyboard when new.

Appealing pressure to the Lid when closed or for that matter closing / opening the Lid, by using one Hand on the corner of the screen, the pressure and additional Torque ( Relationship between force F, torque τlinear momentum p, and angular momentum L in a system which has rotation constrained to only one plane (forces and moments due to gravity and friction not considered). can crack the Screen

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2022 4:00 AM in response to philippa155

I am very please the more Language Switch Keyboard Layout Expert has joined in @ Tom Gewecke

Worth testing as suggested with external KB.

As for Screen Protectors - definitely Non. The Machine Tolerances between the Chassis of the computer and the Screen when it is closed is sooooo small that even a seemingly little object on the Screen or keyboard may damages

The only thing I use is the Original Paper covering that was on the Keyboard when new.

Appealing pressure to the Lid when closed or for that matter closing / opening the Lid, by using one Hand on the corner of the screen, the pressure and additional Torque ( Relationship between force F, torque τlinear momentum p, and angular momentum L in a system which has rotation constrained to only one plane (forces and moments due to gravity and friction not considered). can crack the Screen

Jun 3, 2022 1:58 AM in response to philippa155

Is this a New Issue ? If Yes, what exactly changed on this computer ?

Is this an Old Issue ? If Yes, what actions has the user taken to fix this issue ?

Understand, we are all working Remotely from all around the world. Therefore, we do not have the On-Hands experience the User ( you ) has with this computer.

Reliable , accurate, details and context will really help to pinpoint a possible solution.

If the user is certain the Key itself is malfunctioning as in a Hardware failure it is needing Evaluation or replacement

Jun 3, 2022 2:15 AM in response to PRP_53

Hello P Phillips and thanks for your response.

I bought my 3rd MacBook Air (love em, thanks Steve Jobs RIP) in 2021 from Apple and it is currently being repaired from a smashed screen. When I ordered it I remember selecting the GB keyboard and am wondering if that is why the left shift key has never functioned - extra numerals on the keyboard perhaps. I am based in New Zealand so we have dollars here and I wanted pounds sterling on my keyboard as well.

Also, can you recommend the best screen protector for the Air? Very common problem as the screens smash easily and I need to prevent it from happening again.

Many thanks for your time and thoughts wherever you are,

Philippa,

New Zealand

Jun 3, 2022 2:53 AM in response to philippa155

philippa155 wrote:

When I ordered it I remember selecting the GB keyboard and am wondering if that is why the left shift key has never functioned - extra numerals on the keyboard perhaps.

No, that's not the reason. Most likely it was defective. You can always try an external keyboard (doesn't have to be from Apple) to test that kind of thing.

MacBook Air tech

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.