left shift key

I just bought a refurbished MacBook Air and the shift key on the left hand side (which is the one I use) doesn't work, even when I used the accessibility keys. How can you help?

Posted on Aug 30, 2023 8:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2023 8:34 PM

aracicot15 Said:

"left shift key: I just bought a refurbished MacBook Air and the shift key on the left hand side (which is the one I use) doesn't work, even when I used the accessibility keys. How can you help?"

-------

Troubleshooting Keyboard Keys:

I. Reset the SMC and NVRAM using and external keyboard...

• (Applies to Intel-based Macs only)Sometimes changes(i.e. updates) are made to the system and then settings (i.e. for USB Ports/Keyboard) become manipulated, technically.  So, reset both on your Mac.
  • Use An External Keyboard: It doesn't have to be Apple brand. You might need this adapter: USB-C to USB A Adapter - Apple

II. Reinstalling the macOS:

If the resets are of no success, then reinstall the macOS. If you reinstall the macOS, nothing would be deleted. All intended, original files and apps that came on your macOS would be reinstalled. It’s all about keeping your system files intact.

1. First, Create a Time Machine backup:

Important: Create a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall.

2. Reinstall the macOS:

Go Here: How to Reinstall macOS - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2023 8:34 PM in response to aracicot15

aracicot15 Said:

"left shift key: I just bought a refurbished MacBook Air and the shift key on the left hand side (which is the one I use) doesn't work, even when I used the accessibility keys. How can you help?"

-------

Troubleshooting Keyboard Keys:

I. Reset the SMC and NVRAM using and external keyboard...

• (Applies to Intel-based Macs only)Sometimes changes(i.e. updates) are made to the system and then settings (i.e. for USB Ports/Keyboard) become manipulated, technically.  So, reset both on your Mac.
  • Use An External Keyboard: It doesn't have to be Apple brand. You might need this adapter: USB-C to USB A Adapter - Apple

II. Reinstalling the macOS:

If the resets are of no success, then reinstall the macOS. If you reinstall the macOS, nothing would be deleted. All intended, original files and apps that came on your macOS would be reinstalled. It’s all about keeping your system files intact.

1. First, Create a Time Machine backup:

Important: Create a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall.

2. Reinstall the macOS:

Go Here: How to Reinstall macOS - Apple Support

left shift key

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.