Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blinking black screen when no movement is on screen

when nothing is moving on my screen, my mac display starts blinking. The blinking is very irregular and sometimes the screen goes dark for several seconds. I did a total reset and installed the latest macOS. The weird thing is that when i go in recovery mode or I connect an extern display my mac screen acts normal. So I think this indicates that the problem is not due to a hardware failure. I also can use the laptop when something i constantly moving on screen, for example "searching for a mouse" logo or when I watch a video. I contacted Apple support but they didn't knew the problem at first sight.

Posted on Jun 4, 2022 11:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2022 8:12 AM

gilles74 wrote:

when nothing is moving on my screen, my mac display starts blinking. The blinking is very irregular and sometimes the screen goes dark for several seconds. I did a total reset and installed the latest macOS. The weird thing is that when i go in recovery mode or I connect an extern display my mac screen acts normal. So I think this indicates that the problem is not due to a hardware failure. I also can use the laptop when something i constantly moving on screen, for example "searching for a mouse" logo or when I watch a video. I contacted Apple support but they didn't knew the problem at first sight.

Hardware—

Can you run the User Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

if you think it is software—

you can get a good look at your System config. and reveal conflicts or issues, you can download/run this trusted utility https://etrecheck.com Allow the Full Disk Access for best results.

If you need help interpreting the report you can post it here in its entirety in the "Additional Text" box in the editing toolbar below, in your reply.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 5, 2022 8:12 AM in response to gilles74

gilles74 wrote:

Hardware—

Can you run the User Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

if you think it is software—

you can get a good look at your System config. and reveal conflicts or issues, you can download/run this trusted utility https://etrecheck.com Allow the Full Disk Access for best results.

If you need help interpreting the report you can post it here in its entirety in the "Additional Text" box in the editing toolbar below, in your reply.

Blinking black screen when no movement is on screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.