MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro) display blinks once on login view after booting

I have a 14-inch MacBook Pro with M1. I can't tell you when it started but recently I noticed that after booting the machine or restarting, the display will blink once for about 1 second on the login screen. This is the only place and time I notice the display blinking. It's not a flicker but a blink -- it turns off and turns back on once. I do not see this behavior from my MacBook Air with M2.

Because of this, it seems like a software issue and not a hardware issue.

I am currently running macOS Ventura 13.3.1 (a).

Things I have tried but did not resolve the issue:

• Disabling/Enabling auto-brightness

• Disabling/Enabling True Tone

• Disabling/Enabling File Vault

• Completely wiping the SSD using Disk Utility on boot and re-installing macOS Ventura

It seems like others on here are having the same issue on the following threads but no response from Apple:

Screen Flickering at Boot - MacBook Pro 14 - Apple Community

New MB Pro M1 14" screen flickers when lo… - Apple Community

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254766270

Video: https://share.icloud.com/photos/0b8kmtZPwt32lpPCE8Z3RYudg

MacBook Pro (2021)

Posted on May 11, 2023 8:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2023 8:42 PM

MGuzman! Thanks for stopping by and posting about this for it truly needs to be put under review by staff.

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing a display blinking issue with your MacBook Pro. While I can provide some general troubleshooting suggestions, it's important to note that this issue may require further investigation by Apple Support or a certified technician. Nevertheless, here are a few additional steps you can try:

• Reset the NVRAM/PRAM: Restart your MacBook Pro and immediately press and hold the Option + Command + P + R keys until you hear the startup chime for the second time. This will reset the NVRAM (Non-Volatile Random-Access Memory) or PRAM (Parameter RAM), which stores certain settings related to display and startup.

• Boot in Safe Mode: Restart your MacBook Pro and hold down the Shift key while it's booting until you see the Apple logo. This will boot your Mac into Safe Mode, and it will perform various checks and disable unnecessary extensions and startup items. Check if the display blinking issue occurs in Safe Mode. If it doesn't, it suggests that a third-party app or extension may be causing the problem.

• Create a new user account: Create a new user account on your MacBook Pro and see if the display blinking issue persists when logging in with the new account. If the issue doesn't occur with the new account, it could indicate a problem specific to your user account settings or configurations.

• Update macOS: Check for any available macOS updates by going to the Apple menu > System Preferences > Software Update. Install any pending updates and see if it resolves the issue. Keeping your system up to date can often address software-related issues.

If none of these steps resolve the problem, it's recommended to contact Apple Support or visit an Apple Authorized Service Provider for further assistance. They can provide more specific guidance and perform diagnostics to identify any underlying hardware or software issues that may be causing the display blinking problem.

Keep me posted with any updates on your situation,

DX-7

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2023 8:42 PM in response to MGuzman

MGuzman! Thanks for stopping by and posting about this for it truly needs to be put under review by staff.

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing a display blinking issue with your MacBook Pro. While I can provide some general troubleshooting suggestions, it's important to note that this issue may require further investigation by Apple Support or a certified technician. Nevertheless, here are a few additional steps you can try:

• Reset the NVRAM/PRAM: Restart your MacBook Pro and immediately press and hold the Option + Command + P + R keys until you hear the startup chime for the second time. This will reset the NVRAM (Non-Volatile Random-Access Memory) or PRAM (Parameter RAM), which stores certain settings related to display and startup.

• Boot in Safe Mode: Restart your MacBook Pro and hold down the Shift key while it's booting until you see the Apple logo. This will boot your Mac into Safe Mode, and it will perform various checks and disable unnecessary extensions and startup items. Check if the display blinking issue occurs in Safe Mode. If it doesn't, it suggests that a third-party app or extension may be causing the problem.

• Create a new user account: Create a new user account on your MacBook Pro and see if the display blinking issue persists when logging in with the new account. If the issue doesn't occur with the new account, it could indicate a problem specific to your user account settings or configurations.

• Update macOS: Check for any available macOS updates by going to the Apple menu > System Preferences > Software Update. Install any pending updates and see if it resolves the issue. Keeping your system up to date can often address software-related issues.

If none of these steps resolve the problem, it's recommended to contact Apple Support or visit an Apple Authorized Service Provider for further assistance. They can provide more specific guidance and perform diagnostics to identify any underlying hardware or software issues that may be causing the display blinking problem.

Keep me posted with any updates on your situation,

DX-7

May 11, 2023 10:55 PM in response to DX-7

Thanks for replying.

• There is no NVRAM/PRAM to reset on Apple Silicon-based Macs.

• I have completely reset the Mac last night by completely erasing the Mac using Disk Utility from boot and re-installing macOS Ventura. This should reset all settings to factory defaults. Issue still persisted.

• I reinstalled with the latest version of Ventura so no updates to check (v 13.3.1 (a))

Mar 10, 2024 2:19 PM in response to MGuzman

Same issue here and it started suddenly while reading a PDF.

At first I thought it may be the TrueTone or Auto Adjust screen brightness but after trying everything as well, it happens even during booting up.

if it is hardware, would this be something covered in the warranty ?

in EU all electronic devices should be coved by a 3 year warrenty according to EU law but not all Apple information states that. It took me a while to find Portuguese law (Decreto-Lei n.o 84/2021, de 18 de Outubro).

MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro) display blinks once on login view after booting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.