Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I delete preinstalled apps from my iMac (iMovie, Garage band, etc.)?

Is it ok to delete some preinstalled apps that I never, ever use? And if so, can they be reinstalled later, if I give my iMac to someone who wants the apps?

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jun 4, 2022 3:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2022 5:37 PM

FWIW, you missed the fine print…

iMovie, GarageBand, Pages, Numbers, and Keynote are available on the Mac App Store. Downloading apps requires an Apple ID and a device that is compatible with the OS version required for each app.

11 replies

Jun 4, 2022 5:29 PM in response to curious88

I tried to find a list of pre-installed apps in the Apple store; they no longer list them in their refurbished models, but i did find one on their site for a new one (24" - should not matter though since it is the OS version that really matters), so here is a screenshot (and iMovie is included).

By the way, the apps themselves take up very little space, so getting rid of them is not all that helpful. And I do not know if you can re-install those apps. However, that does not matter either because you need to do a complete wipe of the OS before giving away the device, so a new full version of the OS will be downloaded and installed including those apps.

Jun 4, 2022 3:54 PM in response to curious88

Apps that are part of the operating system (like Safari) cannot be deleted. Apps that can be downloaded separately from the App Store can be deleted (and redownloaded later).

iMovie, GarageBand, Pages, Numbers, and Keynote are available on the Mac App Store. I believe you can delete those and redownload them later (when logged in with the correct Apple ID to the App Store).

Jun 4, 2022 4:44 PM in response to dialabrain

I have a 27 inch 2020 iMac (purchased new from Apple) and iMovie was already on it, as was GarageBand, Pages, Numbers, etc. I had a Mac consultant transfer files from my older Mac to the 2020 Mac - I wonder if this is why I have iMovie, since you say iMovie is "normally" not pre-installed. I'm now asking more questions because I purchased this Mac 1.5 years ago and have had lots of problems. For example, just while writing this reply, I got constant popups saying XXX wants to use "login" keychain and I couldn't cancel or get rid of the popup - additional popups continue - I hit escape several times and it didn't help - eventually my Mac shut down by itself - this is not the 1st occurrence of the same event.

Can I delete preinstalled apps from my iMac (iMovie, Garage band, etc.)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.