Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there any way to use gmail for mail app with OS X ?

Posted on Jun 5, 2022 12:39 PM

6 replies

Jun 11, 2022 7:14 AM in response to lkrupp

Hello lkrupp,

I too have discovered that google has issued a notice on 01/06/2022 saying that I must remove "less secure apps" in order to use the gmail account on my MBP. I have discovered that I can still use google on my iPhone. When I try to send from apple mail using gmail I eventually get a "Message not delivered" from email@googlemail.com. When I click the "Learn more" link I find a long list of suggestions which include a reference to MacOS being the source of the trouble. Obviously you don't have the problem, MacHead. I wonder why I and others do?

I am using Monterey 12.4.

[Email Edited by Moderator]

Jun 11, 2022 2:14 PM in response to lkrupp

Hi lkrupp

The gmail address I have used since 2009 ends in @gmail.com. I can still receive emails to my gmail address in apple mail. I cannot send from that address on my MBP. I can however still send from my gmail address on my iPhone.

I now suspect that the issue may be associated with the "Send emails from a different address or alias" feature in gmail. I use an email address which I have owned since I switched to Apple from windows. I found I had to choose the "less secure apps" gmail option in order to send from that address.

The gmail message about insecurity with MacOSX is probably irrelevant. I suspect I could fix the issue by abandoning use of my "send as" feature which would be a nuisance

No matter what is causing the problem I still can't send using gmail from my MBP. using my preferred "from" address.

Jun 11, 2022 10:09 AM in response to PatrickJC

Well, first off, all of my accounts end in @gmail.com. I’ve never heard of or seen anything like email@googlemail.com. That's just not kosher in my opinion. Second of all, the Mail app in macOS is definitely one of the most secure apps on the planet and if Google considers it insecure then Google has a big problem on its hands. No, I think this is some sort of scam or malware going on yours and anyone else’s devices receiving this notification.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.