Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Beware! Samsung SSD T7 corrupts all video files when copied to

It's upsetting to see that all video files get corrupted when copied to Samsung SSD T7. Copied from 2015 intel MBP SSD and 2020 M1MBA SSD (both laptops are running the latest MacOS and updates).

When I play the video files from Samsung SSD T7 there are delays, dropped frames and green screens.

I have connected the SSD with the original cables coming with the Samsung SSD T7 directly to the laptop. Also tried a Reloop USB hub. The Samsung SSD T7 has the file system Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled).

I'm lucky to have the 1,48 TB on the Samsung SSD T7 on another reliable disk. And yes the original video files on that reliable disk are not corrupt. Copying the video files back to another SSD from the Samsung SSD T7 is not a solution because the video files stay corrupted. Suka blyat!

Anyone has experienced this? Is there a more reliable way to use this Samsung SSD T7? Any other tips?

One love

Posted on Jun 6, 2022 5:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2022 9:35 AM

I going to back out, as that's going to be best.

But, why are you here? If all you're going to do is reject offers to help, by the use of best practice means, why even bother to do all the typing?

In a former life, a situation such as yours was known a FUD: Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt. It does nobody any good to go through this process. As I said, it's best I now just be quiet.

Similar questions

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2022 9:35 AM in response to solidrocketbooster

I going to back out, as that's going to be best.

But, why are you here? If all you're going to do is reject offers to help, by the use of best practice means, why even bother to do all the typing?

In a former life, a situation such as yours was known a FUD: Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt. It does nobody any good to go through this process. As I said, it's best I now just be quiet.

Jun 6, 2022 9:28 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled) is File system format available in Disk Utility on Macs running Monterey.

Source: File system formats available in Disk Utility on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Both machines are running the latest updates of Monterey.

How can you troubleshoot failing connectors yourself?

The including cables are in absolute mint condition. Not using any third party provided apps to manage filesystems on both machines.

Jun 6, 2022 12:09 PM in response to steve359

Let me start by sincerely thanking you for your kind reply.

The file system format has been Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled) is File system format available in Disk Utility on Macs running Monterey. This file system format is compatible with the latest Mac OS. The named file formats used are also compatible with the file system APFS.

If think you may find it here : File system formats available in Disk Utility on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

My actions in the past are not relevant because it wil not fix the current corrupted video files on the T7 or do you think it will? I'm moving forward using file system format APFS for my T7. Never used the Samsung software, did I share this in my initial post?

Who are you quoting "enough of the past, tell me best practices"? Is it perhaps "The why is in the past and now too little too late isn't it"? Who do you mean by "We started asking common"? Are you royalty or a group?

Let me quote statements "The ssd is not corrupting files." and " We have seven T7s and they all have worked beautifully since setting them up." May these statements have the goal to question the justification for criticism?

Thank you for wishing me the best as I for you wish you nothing less but the same.

Jun 6, 2022 1:43 PM in response to solidrocketbooster

Here is a suggestion from Apple: Format drives for Final Cut Pro, Motion, and Compressor - Apple Support

Not sure you are using these video applications, but there is no mention of "case-sensitive" here.

Also here: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

This one is about the Photos Library but note also that videos are sometimes stored in the Photos Library. Again, Apple does not recommend case-sensitive here either.

I would try all over with the T7 formatted NOT case-sensitive. If it still does not work, then I would replace the cable and reformat and try all over again. If it still does not work, I would deduct that there is a good chance that the external SSD is defective. These come with at least a 3-year warranty.

I also did a very quick online search and could not find much but others have experienced video issues when mixing between case-sensitive and non-case-sensitive files on different disks: Extensions on Files Changed from lower ca… - Apple Community

Jun 6, 2022 8:12 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

The playback from the Samsung SSD T7 results in delays, dropped frames and green screens so I agree to disagree and still think that the SSD corrupted all the 1,48 TB of video files. Just happens with video files, like I stated in the title.

From two different sources having the same result, corrupted video files when transferred and the source is pristine.

The why is in the past and now too little too late isn't it? Copy other files back and forth no worries smooth sailings.

I'm going forward to format the Samsung SSD T7 to APFS. Hesitant about the Samsung SSD T7 reliability now so I'll be looking into other external SSD sources.

Jun 6, 2022 8:17 AM in response to solidrocketbooster

OK, I have several Samsung T7 SSDs and have zero issues with them. It appears you do not want to troubleshoot by answering some questions. Again, I don't think the issue is the SSD itself as you described. The issue is going to be its formatting, the files, or maybe even connectors. Of course your SSD could be damaged but your posts indicate you feel the issue is the T7 SSD rather than an issue with the SSD or other contributors.

Jun 6, 2022 8:33 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Like I said the video files play back pristine from the internal SSD, both different laptops. The format may be an issue and this is why I move forward to format the file system to APFS.

My issue happens with the T7. I have 1,48 TB of corrupted video files on this disk.

I get it all the whatabouttisms and whatnot but that does not mean I did not answer your questions.

Your queries: "Why is the ssd formatted case sensitive?" "Can you copy other files back and forth?"

My answers: "The why is in the past and now too little too late isn't it? Copy other files back and forth no worries smooth sailings."

Jun 6, 2022 8:56 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

If two are not having an issue does this mean my issue is non existing?

Like I shared in my post:

format "The Samsung SSD T7 has the file system Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled)"

setup "2015 intel MBP SSD and 2020 M1MBA SSD (both laptops are running the latest MacOS and updates) both laptops are running the latest MacOS and updates)

cables "the original cables coming with the Samsung SSD T7"

the etc?

which troubleshooting questions?

Jun 6, 2022 9:01 AM in response to solidrocketbooster

There are several troubleshooting questions in the thread such as "Why is the ssd formatted case sensitive? Can you copy other files back and forth?".

Copying files to/from disks formatted case sensitive and not case sensitive is a receipe for corruption and issues with files/data. Failing connectors causes issues. Using third party provided apps to manage the filesystems is another huge issue.

Jun 6, 2022 10:03 AM in response to ku4hx

First off all respect to all who are really here to offer support!

Again my questions are: Anyone has experienced this? Is there a more reliable way to use this Samsung SSD T7? Any other tips?

What do my questions have to do with a propaganda tactic?

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty,_and_doubt#Apple

Statements like "The ssd is not corrupting files." " We have seven T7s and they all have worked beautifully since setting them up." May these statements have the goal to question the justification for criticism?

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whataboutism

Jun 6, 2022 11:24 AM in response to solidrocketbooster

Common sense dictates that exchanging two files, one named "onefile.dat" and "ONEFILE.DAT", between case-sensitive format and case-insensitive format will lead to storage confusion (at best) and file corruption (at worst). Also, "best practice" is to NOT use Samsung compatibility software with Macs ... just use the drive as a drive.

You still have not explained WHY you decided to use "case-sensitive" in the past. And true troubleshooting requires analysis of why you did what when and in what order. To insist that your actions in the past will not indicate problems in the future is nonsense.

We started asking common troubleshooting questions to help determine the cause of the problems, and you simply said "enough of the past, tell me best practices".

Good luck searching for answers without looking at the problem.

Jun 6, 2022 12:12 PM in response to solidrocketbooster

solidrocketbooster wrote:

If two are not having an issue does this mean my issue is non existing?

This T7 SSD is one of the more reliable and popular models. On Amazon, there are 18,197 ratings with an average of 4.8 which is about as good as it gets. So it is not just two people not having an issue. I encourage you to explore further using matching drive configurations and have a relook at your cables and connectors. You can also test the SSD with DriveDX (hardware) and Disk Utility (file system).

By the way, I have seen pristine and new cables that look fine work intermittently or not at all. They are inexpensive parts, mass-produced, and some small percentage of them just don't work. It's an easy thing to check by using a different cable.

[P.S. I did not see any answer to the question about using third party (e.g. Samsung) drive utility or firmware with the device, but if in use, those tools have been known to conflict with the MacOS as both are trying to manage the drive at the same time. Are such tools/firmware in use? If not, then my comments above still apply.]

Beware! Samsung SSD T7 corrupts all video files when copied to

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.