You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Auto brightness and screen dimming going crazy

I've got a M1 Pro MacBook Pro 16" running Monterey. I like to leave auto brightness on and it seemed to work just fine until I decided to turn on the "screen dimming when on battery power" option. I quickly realized I wanted to disable just that, so I did, but now the screen keeps dimming and "undimming" each time I plug it or unplug it and the automatic brightness doesn't seem to work anymore. The screen just gets stuck in whatever level of brightness I leave it in, it goes up if I put up some heavy light over it but then it goes back to the last place I left it, instead of moving according to ambience light.

Example: I tested it manually leaving the brightness barely legible in a rather low light room, then put the iPhone flashlight on it. It moves almost all the way up, but when I turn the flashlight off it goes back to barely legible. Before this it used to "measure" the light in the room and just dial it in automatically, but apparently It's not doing it anymore and I have to manually move it every time the ambience light changes. It's pretty annoying.

BTW the system is updated and I tried restarting the machine but nothing changed...

Posted on Jun 6, 2022 3:49 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2022 11:28 AM

Hi juani176,

To confirm, you can adjust your auto-brightness settings under System Preferences > Displays > Automatically adjust brightness. Try toggling that off, restarting, then toggle it on again and test the issue.

If it still doesn't perform as you expected, boot the Mac into safe mode and test the issue there: Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

If the problem is resolved, restart again to exit safe mode.

Should the issue persist, let us know.

Cheers!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 7, 2022 11:28 AM in response to juani176

Hi juani176,

To confirm, you can adjust your auto-brightness settings under System Preferences > Displays > Automatically adjust brightness. Try toggling that off, restarting, then toggle it on again and test the issue.

If it still doesn't perform as you expected, boot the Mac into safe mode and test the issue there: Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

If the problem is resolved, restart again to exit safe mode.

Should the issue persist, let us know.

Cheers!

Auto brightness and screen dimming going crazy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.