Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Playing mp3s on iPod Classic

As I understand it Apple no longer supports the iPod Classic and synchronization with 'Music' (was 'iTunes'). However the iPod is perfectly serviceable and I would like to continue using it (e.g. by attaching it to an external speaker) to play my mp3s.

I have managed to manually copy some mp3 files by dragging them from 'Music' to the iPod in the finder. However I can't find them on the iPod itself to play them.

Any ideas?

Many thanks.

iPod Classic

Posted on Jun 7, 2022 1:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2022 1:31 PM

Blitz Spirit wrote:

As I understand it Apple no longer supports the iPod Classic and synchronization with 'Music' (was 'iTunes').

Not sure where you got that idea. iTunes / Finder can still sync content to an iPod Classic just fine.

Link-> Use the Finder to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer - Apple Support

Copying directly to the iPod has never been supported. So it's not surprising it did not work. Sync the iPod with there Finder on your Mac if you are running macOS Catalina or Later to get music onto it.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2022 1:31 PM in response to Blitz Spirit

Blitz Spirit wrote:

As I understand it Apple no longer supports the iPod Classic and synchronization with 'Music' (was 'iTunes').

Not sure where you got that idea. iTunes / Finder can still sync content to an iPod Classic just fine.

Link-> Use the Finder to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer - Apple Support

Copying directly to the iPod has never been supported. So it's not surprising it did not work. Sync the iPod with there Finder on your Mac if you are running macOS Catalina or Later to get music onto it.

Jun 10, 2022 1:10 PM in response to Blitz Spirit

Blitz Spirit wrote:

I am using macOS Monterey version 12.3 and there is categorically no iTunes, only 'Music' 1.2.3.

I think you have misunderstood. Phil0124 was probably covering all bases by mentioning iTunes, which you brought up. By mentioning it, that then helps other people who might read your discussion, looking for answers. Here is the situation:

• If you have a Mac, running OS Catalina or later (so that includes OS Monterey that you have), then you use Finder to synchronise content to your iPod.
    • However - for users with a Mac running OS Mojave or earlier, then you can use iTunes
    • For users with a Windows computer, then once again they can use iTunes

So you will have to use Finder. However, you need to be specific when saying that you don't see the Sync options shown in the article that you linked to: Use the Finder to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer - Apple Support

In that article, did you look under the heading Sync or remove content with Finder? Using the screenshot of the picture in the article (shown below), please explain what you do, or don't see:

I'm not a Mac user, so I am not familiar with Finder, but the principal is the same:

• Did you open a Finder window, as instructed in the article?
  • Did your iPod appear in the left frame (1.) of the Finder window - the one with the eject icon next to your iPod? Note that it appears under the heading Locations
    • if not, did you follow the helpful suggestion in the first step of that paragraph about what to do if you don't see your device listed in Finder?
    • if it did appear, do you see the frame shown to the right of the picture, as shown above? Did you click on Music (2.), as shown in the picture?
    • Did you then click on Sync music onto <your iPod's name> iPod (3.)? Now - as I'm not familiar with Finder, I don't know what you see before you click on Sync music..., but if the area below Sync music is blank, try selecting the Sync music tick-box to see if the additional information appears

At which point do you get something different and what exactly did you get?

Jun 11, 2022 7:47 AM in response to Phil0124

Many thanks to Phil0124 and The Fiend for your guidance.

Turned out to be a combination of things plus a bit of patience! Finder > Preferences > Sidebar was not ticked to show “CDs, DVDs and iOS Devices”. Reset the iPod itself (Menu and centre button for 10 secs). Then reconnected then iPod and left it alone for ages (20 minutes plus) until the synchronisation menu appeared. Then synchronised all my music.

So, all good in the end and the iPod Classic lives to fight another day!

Playing mp3s on iPod Classic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.