Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wired headphones no longer working with my iPad

I purchased a new iPad Air in December 2021. I ordered APETOO USB C headphones from Amazon and they have been working perfectly. I ordered new PALOVUE USB C Headphones, plugged them in and nothing. Sound just comes from iPad speakers. I went back and tried my old headphones and now they no longer work. I’ve searched the forum and have tried everything suggested — cleaned the port, restarted with the headphones in, restarted without the headphones, slowly inserted the headphones — nothing. My software is up-to-date. Any suggestions?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 15

Posted on Jun 8, 2022 5:34 AM

5 replies

Jun 8, 2022 5:38 AM in response to KC_in_PA

Do the third-party USB-C headphones explicitly list compatibility with Apple iPad/iPhone - or include references to “MFI” in their specifications? If not, the DAC built-in to the headphones may not be compatible with your iPad.

You might test your iPad with Apple’s inexpensive USB-C to 3.5mm Headphone Adapter - and a standard set of analogue headphones:

• USB-C to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MU7E2ZM/A

Jun 8, 2022 6:09 AM in response to KC_in_PA

It’s difficult to offer explanation as to why something that was previously working has since ceased - hence my suggestion to test your USB-C audio using Apple’s (very inexpensive) Adapter. When used with headphones that feature a standard 3.5mm plug, you have flexibility of using one set of headphones for most applications.

Be aware that headphones with a Lightning connector (with built-in DAC) cannot be used with your USB-C equipped iPad.

Jun 8, 2022 5:58 AM in response to LotusPilot

The new headphones don’t list iPad compatibility for the USB C option, but they do for the lightning option and also say MFI. Darn, looks like I ordered the wrong ones. But why would my old ones suddenly stop working? They are compatible with iPad Air (obviously, since I’ve been using them for six months). I used them yesterday morning, then received my new ones yesterday afternoon and plugged them in and when they didn’t work went back to my old ones. Which now won’t work. *sigh*

Wired headphones no longer working with my iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.