Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

JPG photos turning into HEIC on my laptop. How do I disable this conversion on my computer? I turned it off on my phone. Thanks.

Bad surprise to find that my phone has been taking photos in HEIC format and that 20,000 photos in my library have HEIC extension. I figured out how to disable this on my phone. But a JPG photo just turning into HEIC when I moved it to desktop on computer. How do I disable this conversion on my computer?

This is a huge problem. HEIC/HEIF not accepted anywhere. You can't upload HEIC/HEIF photos to be printed at photo stores, you can't use HEIC/HEIF when making invitations etc at shutterfly etc, you cant' drop HEIC photos into Google Docs.

I'd appreciate any info for how i can get rid of HEIC.

Thanks

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jun 8, 2022 7:02 AM

14 replies

Aug 10, 2022 6:54 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thank you for response. What I said of the camera using "heic" format holds true. I can not use that for all practical purposes in normal daily use. My venture for information started because first, something changed and i couldn't transfer my iPhone picture to my pc, i tried icloud, itunes and just plain file transfer and none of these worked or let me make the transfer. My I cloud is full and I want pictures off my phone. The one i need somehow i got but in heic format not recognized by everyday software.

Aug 10, 2022 10:59 AM in response to Tkreiling

I'm sorry to hear of your various issues, but I answered specific questions in a specific context, and you misrepresented that.

i couldn't transfer my iPhone picture to my pc

By pc do you mean a Windows box? This forum is for folks using Apple's Photos for Mac application. I suggest you post in a forum for Windows users. .

JPG photos turning into HEIC on my laptop. How do I disable this conversion on my computer? I turned it off on my phone. Thanks.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.