Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shutdown error on startup despite correct shutdown

Recently, on booting up my MacBook Pro with Monterrey installed, and despite having shutdown correctly, I'm getting a start-up message saying I had had a forced shutdown and would I wish to restart applications previously in use. Help!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 8, 2022 1:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2022 1:22 PM

1 - Suggest restarting in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

3 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

4 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

5 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

6 - If after performing each of the above steps is the order that have been presents  and still have issues - please advise for possible further assistance

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2022 1:22 PM in response to Richard Perry

1 - Suggest restarting in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

3 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

4 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

5 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

6 - If after performing each of the above steps is the order that have been presents  and still have issues - please advise for possible further assistance

Jun 8, 2022 1:16 PM in response to Richard Perry

Richard Perry wrote:

Recently, on booting up my MacBook Pro with Monterrey installed, and despite having shutdown correctly, I'm getting a start-up message saying I had had a forced shutdown and would I wish to restart applications previously in use. Help!
MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

The current stable release including bug fixes for your Mojave is 10.14.6

The current stable release of Monterey including bug fixes, is macOS 12.4

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

I would start there.

Jun 12, 2022 11:55 AM in response to PRP_53

Thanks for the latest advice. I mistakenly left the various external drives plugged in. Sorry if this has confused things. However, the issue continues without the drives plugged in. I have run another Etrecheck scan without those devices, this I attach. The issues identified in the first report remain, as far as my untutored eye can tell. Perhaps you can take the trouble to look the lates. one over for me. But, I am uncertain how to set about reducing the system modification activity or to ease the demand on the CPU. Are you able to help me on these matters?

Thanks again for all your trouble.

Jun 9, 2022 2:04 PM in response to Richard Perry

Understand, we are all working Remotely from all around the world.

Therefore, we do not have the On-Hands experience the User ( you ) has with this computer.

The below suggestion is the next best thing to use having actual On-Hand to this computer.

7- Suggest downloading the Application Etrecheck directly from a well Respected ASC Contributor. And Safe to use.

The application is free or paid from added features. 

Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ).

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Jun 10, 2022 8:10 AM in response to Richard Perry

Thank you for taking the time to post the Full Report.

The only major thing, pertaining to this computer issue, that jumps, is running the machine with Multi External Drives at the same time.

Do not know if they were still actively performing some Mission Critical Function and connected at the time the Computer was Shutdown

Experiment with Disconnecting the three drives before Shutting Down. From Cold Boot does the same Error Message appear again ?

Major Issues:

Anything that appears on this list needs immediate attention. 

Heavy CPU usage - Some processes are using an unusually high amount of CPU.

Minor Issues:

These issues do not need immediate attention but they may indicate future problems or opportunities for improvement. 

Q - Clean up - There are orphan files that could be removed.

A - Refer to below section called " Cleanup "

Q - Unsigned files - There are unsigned software files installed. These files could be old, incompatible, and cause problems. They should be reviewed.

A - Self explanatory. Worth considering updating / upgrading to more current versions for Monterey

Q - System modifications - There are a large number of system modifications running in the background.

A - Anytime the OS is this heavily modified, there are unintended consequences including the issue at hand.

Q - Runaway user process - A user process is using a large percentage of your CPU.

Q - External drives and performance - There are external drives connected that could be affecting performance.

A - This is covered in the pre-amble above

Hardware Information:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports)

MacBook Pro Model: MacBookPro16,2

2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 (i5-1038NG7) CPU: 4-core

16 GB RAM - Not upgradeable

BANK 0/ChannelA-DIMM0 - 8 GB LPDDR4X 3733  

BANK 2/ChannelB-DIMM0 - 8 GB LPDDR4X 3733  

Q -  disk2 - LaCie P9227 Slim 1.00 TB (Mechanical) 

Q -  disk3 - WD My Book 1230 4.00 TB

Q -  disk4 - WD Elements 25A3 6.00 TB

Network:

Q -  iCloud Status: one pending file

Security:

Gatekeeper: App Store and identified developers

System Integrity Protection: Enabled

Q -   Antivirus software: Apple and Malwarebytes

A - Malwarebytes is good but does not really need to be running all the time IMHO. It is using Resources that could be better deployed elsewhere

Kernel Extensions:

Q -  /Applications/Recoverit.app

[Not Loaded] WondershareDriver.kext - com.wondershare.driver (2.1.3 - SDK 10.14)

A - This one is a user preference but do not personally see any real usage in everyday operations.

Launch Daemons:

Q -  [Loaded] com.bombich.ccchelper.plist (Bombich Software, Inc. - installed 2022-01-04)

A - Thumb Up and use it myself. My Go To for years.

Q -  [Running] com.malwarebytes.mbam.rtprotection.daemon.plist (Malwarebytes Corporation - installed 2022-05-16)

Clean up:

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.VoiceFive.AMP.plist

/private/var/folders/62/prwgbzd92nd49pqwrvk3h3980000gn/T/AppTranslocation/569E8BF6-E193-4905-9B90-DEA96D0F640C/d/AMP.app/Contents/MacOS/AMP

Executable not found

Jun 13, 2022 1:35 AM in response to Richard Perry

These two items are now appearing in the latest report above.

There, I would need some additional assistance from more learned colleague(s).

It appears the two items are a Restore from a SafetyNet feature from Carbon Copy Cloner which is the object of the feature.

But the file Paths do not appear to be correct and possibly causing the Improper " Shutdown error on startup "

[Not Loaded] PhotoStreamAgent (App Store - installed 2022-01-04)

Modern Login Item

/Users/Shared/Previously Relocated Items/Security/_CCC SafetyNet/2018-08-02 (August 02) 19-59-11/Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/PhotoStreamAgent.app

[Not Loaded] HP Device Monitor (Hewlett Packard - installed 2022-01-04)

Modern Login Item

/Users/Shared/Previously Relocated Items/Security/_CCC SafetyNet/2018-08-02 (August 02) 19-59-11/Library/Printers/hp/Utilities/HP Utility.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/HP Device Monitor.app

Shutdown error on startup despite correct shutdown

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.