Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am preparing a document with Numbers on my laptop. I need to include a dollar sign for each amount, but the dollar sign gets dropped when I enter it.

I am preparing a document with Numbers on my laptop. I need to include a dollar sign in each cell for the amount. When I type the amount, ex. $1600, the dollar sign disappears when I hit enter and it only shows 1600. Help, please?!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 9, 2022 12:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2022 4:22 PM

What FoxFifth said, then…

Enter your currency values as numbers. Include the decimal when needed, but do not include the dollar sign—Numbers will automatically enter the currency sign that you chose when setting the cells' data format as Currency.

Setting the data format to Currency will also make the decimal setting 2 (digits after the decimal). You can change this if needed.

Note that when entering numbers you will need to include the decimal point and the decimal part of the number.

Regards,

Barry

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2022 4:22 PM in response to mlb4rlb

What FoxFifth said, then…

Enter your currency values as numbers. Include the decimal when needed, but do not include the dollar sign—Numbers will automatically enter the currency sign that you chose when setting the cells' data format as Currency.

Setting the data format to Currency will also make the decimal setting 2 (digits after the decimal). You can change this if needed.

Note that when entering numbers you will need to include the decimal point and the decimal part of the number.

Regards,

Barry

I am preparing a document with Numbers on my laptop. I need to include a dollar sign for each amount, but the dollar sign gets dropped when I enter it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.