Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clicking down arrow opening help menu at top

When I click the down arrow on my Mac, say for example in the mail app just so I can tap through the emails easily without needing to move, it just opens up the help menu in the bar at the top. Happens in safari too when searching something and pressing down to choose one of the autofill options.

I'm fully updated to Monterey 12.4, but this has been happening for months across all the updates anyway.

Any help would be appreciated to sort this.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 11, 2022 8:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2022 9:03 AM

If this were happening to me, I would consider two possibilities.

(1) Somehow the usual keyboard shortcut for the help menu has been reassigned to the down arrow. You can check on this via System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts. (see also: Create keyboard shortcuts for apps on Mac - Apple Support)

(2) I would consider the possibility that some third party software has mucked things up. One way to test this is to startup in safe mode and see if the problem persists.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2022 9:03 AM in response to stew05

If this were happening to me, I would consider two possibilities.

(1) Somehow the usual keyboard shortcut for the help menu has been reassigned to the down arrow. You can check on this via System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts. (see also: Create keyboard shortcuts for apps on Mac - Apple Support)

(2) I would consider the possibility that some third party software has mucked things up. One way to test this is to startup in safe mode and see if the problem persists.

Clicking down arrow opening help menu at top

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.