Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airpods Pro disappear from Bluetooth after switching users on Big Sur

On Big Sur, my Airpods Pro disappear from the Bluetooth devices and stop working when I switch user accounts. They reappear when I logout and login again. This is obviously really problematic because I have to close everything and logout just to get them working again. I have seen other people ask the same question with no answer. Has there been any resolution to this?

What I want to happen is that when I switch back to a user account that was using the Airpods Pro, they reconnect and become the active audio device again. A second-best option (one that would mean MacOS was at least "not broken") would be that the Airpods Pro still show up in the audio devices list and Bluetooth when the hardware is available.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jun 11, 2022 9:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2022 10:21 AM

When you switch to a different user account, that user account doesn't have access to the pairing profile of the Bluetooth device.

Every user account has different permissions.

Your Airpods are working as intended.

Airpods are single user devices.

4 replies

Jun 11, 2022 10:32 AM in response to Johnathan Burger

When I log into my MacOS primary user account (administrator), and my Airpods are working, then I login to a second MacOS user account, they stop working with that account, and that's fine. But when I switch back to the first account (which, in a Unix-based platform like MacOS, should always be active, just not interfacing with I/O), the Airpods should still be detectable for reconnection.

Airpods Pro disappear from Bluetooth after switching users on Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.