Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Management disenter error 49244

After updating to MacOS 12.4 my external drive will not mount. I get an error message that says "Could not mount “My Passport LHM”. (com.apple.DiskManagement.disenter error 49244.)"

How do I fix this issue?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Jun 11, 2022 11:01 AM

6 replies

Jun 27, 2022 8:16 AM in response to redPapu

Hi redPapu. Did you ever resolve this one?

Just ran into the same error ("Could not mount “Speedy”. (com.apple.DiskManagement.disenter error 49244.)") with my 4TB external SSD after updating from Big Sur to Monterey 12.4.

Like you Disk Utility's First Aid function failed on the drive. Really hoping to not erase it, since it's a 4TB drive and houses my photo library that I store outside of iCloud Photo Library. Fortunately i have it backed up with Backblaze. Perhaps of note is that it is formatted as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)", rather than APFS. I have read that sometimes external drives are taking up to an hour to appear on macOS Monterey. Reference here <https://mjtsai.com/blog/2021/11/09/disk-utility-in-monterey/>:

• "I also continue to see the problem, introduced in Big Sur, where external drives can take up to an hour to mount, during which time Disk Utility may constantly beachball, and other apps that use the Cocoa document system or file coordination will beachball as soon as they try to read or write a file. Thus, it’s no longer safe for me to initiate a backup while working."

I think I'll probably try to leave it for a while to mount, since I only JUST finished updating to Monterey. But yeah. This really feels like Monterey is responsible here.

One other thing I'll try before I go the erasing route is to try mounting it on another Mac that is not running Monterey yet.

Jun 11, 2022 11:57 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks leroydouglas. I tried and the disk mounted but Time Machine reported it is unable to back up because the disk is "read only." I ran disk first aid. It failed and advised i should back up the external drive and reformat it. Maybe that's what I must do but this seems to have been a result of updating to OS 12.4, which is frustrating.

Jun 27, 2022 5:14 PM in response to redPapu

Thanks for the quick reply Larry! I think I’m going to do the same. I will reformat my existing drive as APFS, perhaps that will help (current format was HFS Plus Extended, which is getting a bit dated). My situation is a bit different in that I had data on my drive. I ordered the $189 “send me a USB drive with my data” option from Backblaze. The nice thing about that option is, if you return the drive within 30 days they give you a refund on it. Once I receive that, I’ll copy my data back into my reformatted drive.

it’s a shame because I feel like this was triggered by my macOS Monterey update. For the record, I did have one or two instances prior to the update, where the drive would not mount, but it was a long time prior (a year?) and resolved itself with a reboot.

Disk Management disenter error 49244

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.