Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to use F1, F2, etc. keys on Satechi keyboards without pressing fn key

I love my Satechi X3 Bluetooth Backlit Keyboard. However, in either USB or Bluetooth mode, System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard doesn't show the option "Use F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys.". Only when I use Apple's OEM keyboards, this option appears.

However, if I press the fn and esc keys on the Satechi keyboard, this option is enabled. No utilities are needed. Pressing this key combination again disables the option. I suspect that it would work with other third-party keyboards as well.

Mac Pro, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 12, 2022 12:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2022 7:41 AM

nunz_Apple wrote:

However, if I press the fn and esc keys on the Satechi keyboard, this option is enabled. No utilities are needed. Pressing this key combination again disables the option. I suspect that it would work with other third-party keyboards as well.

Good Find. 😎

Similar questions

4 replies

Jun 14, 2022 12:07 PM in response to nunz_Apple

The point of my original post was to be helpful for those who use non-Apple keyboards and wish to use F1, F2, etc. keys without first pressing the fn key.

Old Toad pointed out above that his Matias Backlit Aluminum Keyboard does trigger the function key options to appear, just like Apple’s OEM keyboard. So, the fn + esc key combination is irrelevant in his case.

On the other hand, my Satechi X3 Bluetooth Backlit Keyboard does not trigger the function key options to appear. But, the fn + esc key combination makes it possible to use F1, F2, etc keys without first pressing the fn key. This has been confirmed by Satechi’s Technical Support,

Though it is not related to the topic of this thread, my Satechi keyboard works as a USB keyboard as well when the fn + eject key combination is pressed. So, I use this feature to control Boot Camp on another Mac because, for some reason, Bluetooth connection into Boot Camp on this second Mac is not reliable.

The point of my paragraph immediately above is that the USB cable that comes with the Satechi X3 Bluetooth Backlit Keyboard passes data as well as power.

Jun 12, 2022 3:17 PM in response to nunz_Apple

I have the Matias Backlit Aluminum Keyboard from OWC and it uses the Fn keys just like the Apple Magic Keyboards. No special key combinations needed.

You might try booting into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again. However, Safe Mode disables all 3rd party software so it there's support software for the keyboard it might not work at all. The Matias works in Safe Mode and Recovery Volume mode also.

How to use F1, F2, etc. keys on Satechi keyboards without pressing fn key

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.