Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePod Multi-Room Setup impossible on Macbook Pro / Mac OS? Only possible on iPhone / iOS?

Why does it seem impossible to connect to more than one HomePod from Macbook Pro? Yes, I'm aware that "Stereo Pair" is possible, but I want the same multi-room functionality and ease of use that I experience on iPhone or iPad, only on Macbook.

What am I missing?

From my iPhone, I can quickly and easily select "Kitchen" and "Master Bath" from the Airplay menu (from virtually any App, Spotify shown below):

But from Macbook Pro (Mission Control > Airplay Menu) this is impossible. I can only select EITHER Kitchen OR Master Bathroom:

This seems like a major shortcoming that Mac OS (and a much more expensive and powerful device, Macbook Pro) cannot do what iOS (iPhone) can do.

I've also tried "Add Room" from the iOS Home App called "Kitchen & Master Bath", but it will not let me add both HomePods to this room. I was hoping this would be a workaround, but so far, nothing.

Any ideas? Thanks.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 13, 2022 8:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2022 11:28 AM

I have the same frustration since I prefer to play music off my laptop, not my phone. It is a nightmare trying to have Homepod’s in two different rooms play from my laptop.

Similar questions

5 replies

Jun 13, 2022 11:00 AM in response to turingtest2

Your response was helpful and did solve the mystery somewhat, but proves that this is more of Apple being Apple, and not giving us the same freedom of user experience or functionality on Macbook as we enjoy on iPhone. I find it convenient (for Apple, I.E. Inconvenient for me) that they ONLY give you that option in Apple's "Music" App / Service, but you can't do it from Spotify for Mac. And you can't do it from Mission Control > Airplay.

Doesn't make sense when again, this works flawlessly on iPhone, right from the Spotify iPhone App. I can play on any speaker I want, as many rooms as I want, etc...

IMO, Apple Music is terrible, to put it bluntly. They've deleted all of my old MP3 music, they've deleted my Playlists. Pretty much the only thing Apple Music is good for is listening to music purchased through Apple. But even then, they try to force the music subscription and Apple Radio down your throat, which I've tried and find far inferior to Spotify. If they can't even keep from deleting my carefully curated playlists (that I've worked on for years) why would I want to reward them with a Music subscription??

Thanks.

HomePod Multi-Room Setup impossible on Macbook Pro / Mac OS? Only possible on iPhone / iOS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.