Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Buying an iphone for someone in another country.

So I would like to buy my girlfriend an Iphone for a birthday gift. She lives in Nigeria and the prices there are insane. I live in America and refuse to buy one at more than double the price here. Can I buy one here for her? What hassles will I run into if I buy one in America and ship it to her? Is that even an option? Any info on this would be awesome.

Posted on Jun 13, 2022 11:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2022 11:51 AM

1. You can buy one in the U.S, but warranty will only be available in the US. So if anything happens to it, it will need to be physically returned to the U.S. for warranty service.
  2. You won't ben able to ship it to Nigeria directly form Apple. That is, you will need to ship to a U.S. address, and then send it to Nigeria yourself, at which point, if something happens, our it gets lost in transit, it will be your responsibility and Apple will not help you.
  3. Make sure you select the no carrier option, so she can use a carrier in Nigeria. Don't buy it form places like Walmart or Target as they will be locked to U.S carriers.
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 13, 2022 11:51 AM in response to Bbring1234

1. You can buy one in the U.S, but warranty will only be available in the US. So if anything happens to it, it will need to be physically returned to the U.S. for warranty service.
  2. You won't ben able to ship it to Nigeria directly form Apple. That is, you will need to ship to a U.S. address, and then send it to Nigeria yourself, at which point, if something happens, our it gets lost in transit, it will be your responsibility and Apple will not help you.
  3. Make sure you select the no carrier option, so she can use a carrier in Nigeria. Don't buy it form places like Walmart or Target as they will be locked to U.S carriers.

Jun 13, 2022 1:15 PM in response to Bbring1234

There are a lot of unknowns regarding Apple's warranty and even out of warranty service. Apple's terms say that iPhone repair may be restricted to the country of original purchase, although much of that has to do with regulatory issues. If you're comfortable enough with that, then by all mean there's nothing wrong with buying an iPhone in the United States as a gift for someone overseas.

Buying an iphone for someone in another country.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.