Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'Snap to Grid' in all Finder Windows and Directories

Hello,

Is it possible to have the files in Finder remain in a 'Snap to Grid' configuration that applies to all finder windows and directories at all times?

I understand this is possible by option clicking; however, this option applies only to the one particular directory and that is not what I am looking for.

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Jun 14, 2022 12:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2022 4:09 AM

I have a few ideas for you:

1) The setting is per folder, but once you set it for a given folder it should stick

2) Since this is something that you seem to want to have constantly, it helps to add a keyboard shortcut. This way, when you happen to open a "disorganized" folder, all you need to do is press that shortcut and boom, they are aligned.

Just go to System Preferences->Keyboard->Shortcuts->App Shortcuts, add a new one, select the Finder, type "Snap to Grid" (without the quotes) and choose the desired shortcut.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 14, 2022 4:09 AM in response to Community User

I have a few ideas for you:

1) The setting is per folder, but once you set it for a given folder it should stick

2) Since this is something that you seem to want to have constantly, it helps to add a keyboard shortcut. This way, when you happen to open a "disorganized" folder, all you need to do is press that shortcut and boom, they are aligned.

Just go to System Preferences->Keyboard->Shortcuts->App Shortcuts, add a new one, select the Finder, type "Snap to Grid" (without the quotes) and choose the desired shortcut.

Jun 14, 2022 9:50 PM in response to ku4hx

True, there is no grid when files are displayed as 'list' or 'column'. I am referring to the 'icon' way of displaying files in Finder. Maybe it is not fair to compare things to Windows, but by default icons (like a directory or file) are sorted as follows:

• Directories on top (or first), followed by files and all by order of name. (Got this sorted out, perfect).
  • The icons are thereby kept in an array (on that invisible grid) without gaps. One after the other. If you drag one out of its spot and release it anywhere within the same window, it automatically snaps back to its original position. I like this as there won't be any drifting icons.
  • When a new file or directory is created, it too will get a spot in the array of icons, sorted by name.
  • All the above happens by default and applies to all directories or Finder windows.

I understand there is the 'clean-up' function, but it snaps icons 'to their nearest grid square' so to speak. So if you have a Finder window full of drifting icons and use that function, it still leaves me with a windows full of gaps between icons and it only applies to this one instance.

I hope this clears things up. Appreciate the help and insights. New Mac user here!

I hope this helps!

Jun 14, 2022 3:46 AM in response to Community User

What exactly do you want a "snap to" to do? On the desktop for instance, it aligns everything with an invisible grid. But if you're in a directory, there is no grid. You can arrange the files and folders in various patterns vis groupings and such, but a grid in a list of folders seems pointless.

You can show file and folders as icons which is, in a fashion, a type of grid using these controls:

'Snap to Grid' in all Finder Windows and Directories

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.