Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyway to use a printer with no drivers for macOS12+?

I have a perfectly good Canon all-in-one. Canon does not provide new drivers for this product past El Capitan. Canon's solution is 10% off a brand new all-in-one. If I have to I will buy a new printer, but was hoping that the community might have some work around. I tried to install the El Capitan driver but it cannot be opened because "Apple cannot check it for malicious software."

This is not very 2022, having to throw out a perfectly functioning piece of hardware because Canon thinks its time for me to spend more money with them.

Cheers!

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jun 14, 2022 12:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2022 2:48 PM

See if this open source, free driver will support your model and will work: Gutenprint print driver.  Check this page to see if your printer is supported:  Gutenprint Supported Printers  

Also check this Apple document to see if your printer is AirPrint compatible: About AirPrint - Apple Support. If it is listed you won't need a driver. Just set it up in System/Printers & Scanners preference pane using AirPrint.

Additionally, check the European Canon sites. They often have drivers which are not available in the US.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 14, 2022 2:48 PM in response to tystik5ty

See if this open source, free driver will support your model and will work: Gutenprint print driver.  Check this page to see if your printer is supported:  Gutenprint Supported Printers  

Also check this Apple document to see if your printer is AirPrint compatible: About AirPrint - Apple Support. If it is listed you won't need a driver. Just set it up in System/Printers & Scanners preference pane using AirPrint.

Additionally, check the European Canon sites. They often have drivers which are not available in the US.

Anyway to use a printer with no drivers for macOS12+?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.