Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud family account - upgrading

My wife and I have separate iCloud storage accounts (200gb) I have a Mac, she uses an iPhone.

If I set up a family sharing account, does she need to migrate her data or does she just continue using her iCloud as per normal, just with more space?

After I add her to the plan - do I simply cancel her iCloud subscription, since she is using the family account I will be paying for?

Is there anything I need to be aware of, before I cancel her account?

Thanks!!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 14, 2022 4:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2022 4:44 PM

She continues to access her iCloud storage in the same way as always, using her Apple ID. Only the amount of available storage and the billing changes. See information in Share iCloud+ with your family - Apple Support

Also, regarding cancellation see the following in that same support article:

Switch from your iCloud+ plan to your family plan

When you share iCloud+, any family members using the free 5GB plan are added to your family plan automatically.

If a family member is already paying for their own iCloud+ plan, they can choose to switch to your plan or keep their own and still remain part of the family. When they switch to the shared family plan, they get a refund for the remainder of their personal plan. They can't keep their current plan and use the shared family plan at the same time.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 14, 2022 4:44 PM in response to marshallfromwinnipeg

She continues to access her iCloud storage in the same way as always, using her Apple ID. Only the amount of available storage and the billing changes. See information in Share iCloud+ with your family - Apple Support

Also, regarding cancellation see the following in that same support article:

Switch from your iCloud+ plan to your family plan

When you share iCloud+, any family members using the free 5GB plan are added to your family plan automatically.

If a family member is already paying for their own iCloud+ plan, they can choose to switch to your plan or keep their own and still remain part of the family. When they switch to the shared family plan, they get a refund for the remainder of their personal plan. They can't keep their current plan and use the shared family plan at the same time.

iCloud family account - upgrading

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.