Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Insufficient Permission to download from internet to external drive

For many years I have legally downloaded live concerts from Archive.org directly to an external drive. Since updating to Monterey, downloads from this site to this drive are met with a "failed - insufficient permission" error, though they will download to my Downloads folder and I can then copy them over and delete them from my laptop. What setting do I need to adjust to restore my old functionality? Thanks.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 14, 2022 11:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2022 1:30 AM

P. Phillips thank you. I was in the right place before. It didn't occur to me that the browser was the download app. I unlocked and ticked the box next to Chrome. Once I restarted the browser I could download to the external drive. Thanks again.

Similar questions

5 replies

Jun 15, 2022 12:31 AM in response to Matti Haveri

Matt, thank you for the quick reply. When I go to System Preferences and choose Security & Privacy, then select the Privacy tab, on the left I see a column that includes Full Disk Access. When I choose that nothing in the window to the right refers to a download app whose permission I could change. When I unlock it and look to add an item, I don't see anything in my applications that would be obvious to me to add. I also don't see anything referring to a download app anywhere else in my System Preferences. Can you please provide more specific instructions of what you're recommending I try? Thanks again.

Jun 15, 2022 1:04 AM in response to dsb-129

What Specific Application is used to download the videos from Archive.org.

If using Safari or Firefox ( most familiar with ) generally the Default Location is set to Downloads Folder.

Perhaps you what to explore changing that the the External Drive.

Note: If changed to external drive, any other type of download of anything will Default to External Drive

Insufficient Permission to download from internet to external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.