Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

16” MBP M1 MAX SLOW PERFORMANCE

So I purchased the 16” Macbook Pro M1 MAX Specifically for the reviews about how incredibly fast it renders and edits video

I can’t even begin to explain how horrible the experience has been. Apple sent me a replacement computer but I am experiencing the exact same issues and can’t work out what the issue is.

FCPX is maxing out my CPU with 147%

while working on one project that’s approx. 10minutes long using 4K Iphone footage. There are no colour grades / effects / titles being used yet.

My library is saved onto a hard drive which I am directly working off. I’m also editing with proxy footage yet the playback is laggy. The spinning wheel of death appears every few minutes when I’m either trying to drag footage into the timeline, scroll through the content library or even when selecting a few clips and trying to turn down the volume on them.

I don’t understand how my 27” Imac 2020 with lower specs can handle my editing completely fine and this brand new MBP is struggling with 1 project. Apple has run all the tests possible and have yet to provide me with any solutions. I don’t know if I should just purchase an older laptop with the intel chip? These older models seem to be performing better than these new ones.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 15, 2022 1:12 AM

Similar questions

35 replies

Jun 15, 2022 1:57 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Here is the Etrecheck.

I've been using Seagate Portable Hard drive 4TB which is currently half full. I was told SSDs would be better to use and so I've also tried the SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD Drive which i experienced the exact same issue.

I have also seen your comment below, and will definetly try uninstalling chrome now - but I'm also curious how I have used chrome on every single mac I've ever used and never experienced any issues with video editing. Is this something specifically with the new M1 MAX?

Jun 15, 2022 4:25 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I am currently trying to create a new library directly on the internal drive, but final cut is just struggling to open so I'll get back to you on how that goes. I've ran the tests below (I don't quite understand all this stuff) But I gather from that, that clearly the internal drive can process extremely faster than the hard drive which could be causing the issue? But I'm interested to know how the same project on the same hard drive can work perfectly fine on my old iMac and yet has all these issues on the new MBP?

I ran the test on my hard drive and got this:

And not sure if I did it correctly, but I ran it on my user folder with the internal and got this:

Jun 15, 2022 5:26 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

EDIT: and if you were using the same adapter with an SSD, that would tell us why even that would not work correctly.

In response to this, the SSD actually had a usbC with it, so the adapter wasn't needed.

I've run the test using the USB3.0

Even though it shows it's faster, final cut is still working slow.

I am eager to find a solution to this, and based off this would you assume the issue is the hard drive?

Do you have any recommendations for external hard drives that shouldn't affect the internal speed?

Jun 17, 2022 5:39 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

So I am now editing directly off the laptop (no external hard drives plugged in) all my raw video content is saved on the computer - starting a new project and just importing my clips - it has crashed 2 minutes into importing the footage.

Once reopened - even when I'm trying to drag in the clips, cut and edit - its maxing out the CPU and lagging.

Jun 15, 2022 1:26 AM in response to Meshpotatoes

What drive is this? How is it connected? How is it formatted? How full is it?

There may be software conflicts - that is particularly more likely if you migrated everything from your previous mac.

We need information about that in order to help, so: Please run Etrecheck and post its full report here. Use the "additional text" button and paste the report into the text box.

Jun 15, 2022 2:13 AM in response to Meshpotatoes

Besides the keystone things that we know cause trouble, the report is pretty clean.

Does FCP have "Full Disk Access" in System Preferences->Security & Privacy->Privacy? I assume it does already, but if not it needs to be added.

Also, there is a chance there is some problem with the library itself.

You could try a simple test. Close this library, make a new one on your external drive, add some clips, and make a short project.

How does that proceed? Are then slowdowns? If there are slowdowns, quit FCP and copy this test library to your internal drive. Test. This ought to be extremely fast.

Jun 15, 2022 4:04 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

This actually wasn't checked: "Full Disk Access" so I've checked that now.

As well as completely uninstall chrome and reinstalling Final Cut Pro - There is absolutely no change in the speed and if anything I'm finding that the entire library is now taking about 1-2 minutes to even open upon starting up Final Cut Pro. I get a good few minutes of editing without any issues and then even something as basic as slicing a clip causes the spinning wheel and I have no choice but to force quit.

I have also tired creating the new library, the interface is even slow just trying to important the footage.

I honestly am shocked at the idea that an M1MAX chip could struggle in the slightest when it's just 4K IPHONE footage.

Jun 15, 2022 4:40 AM in response to Meshpotatoes

Your external drive (or perhaps the way it is connnected) is a big problem.

It looks like it is only using a USB2 connection. That is completely inadequate.

Your internal drive is over 150 times faster.

(EDIT: in my previous post, when I estimated 500, I meant to have written 50; thus it is three times as bad as I thought it would be)

I suggest you quit FCP, eject the external drive, and completely disconnect it from your mac.

Start FCP again. Still slow? I don't think it will be.

Jun 15, 2022 4:47 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I have the hard drive usbA plugged into an adapter as the laptop only has usbC.

I thought this may have been the case last time so I went and bought an SSD hard drive, transferred my files onto that and worked directly off the SSD but has the exact same issues.

I would love to rely on working directly off the internal drive however I only have 2T and a lot of video projects. As mentioned, I don't understand why the exact same project works fine on a 2020 iMac, yet not on this.

I have ejected the drive and disconnected it, and yes FCPX opened up with no issues but also had no libraries opened as they are all on the hard drive.

Jun 15, 2022 4:53 AM in response to Meshpotatoes

I'd look at that adapter. Can you tell us what it is, exactly?

It seems that your drive may be USB3 capable, but your adapter may be limiting it to USB2 speeds.

That would explain why the drive used to work fine on a USB3 port on your iMac.

EDIT: and if you were using the same adapter with an SSD, that would tell us why even that would not work correctly.

Jun 15, 2022 5:06 AM in response to Meshpotatoes

Note how it says: 1 * USB3.0 + 3 * USB2.0

You will need to make sure that the drive is connected to the USB3 port on the adapter.

They don't seem to be identified but an educated guess is easy to make.

I suggest you test with BlackMagic Disk Speed Test. On USB3 it should give you 100MBps or more for the HD, and perhaps 400MBps for an SSD.

Also: this appears to be a low cost adapter; it is possible that it may not offer the best performance, but still USB3 will make a huge difference.

16” MBP M1 MAX SLOW PERFORMANCE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.