Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lock screen image on an M1 MacBook Pro

What determines in Lock Screen background image on an M1 MBP? Previously the Lock Screen used to show an image that represented the system, Big Sur, Catalina, even the Monterey artwork. That doesn't seem to apply to M1 machines. Is there a way perhaps to set what that image is?

Thanks very much.

Posted on Jun 15, 2022 1:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2022 9:24 AM

Tom Wolsky wrote:
It seems to be a machine specific

That changes my desktop image only. It doesn't change the login screen image for me.

You can try a Safeboot to clear system cache files...

If you meet all the criteria presented above— then I suspect you are stuck with it until you get to your User.

You can Call Customer Support  (800) MYAPPLE (800–692–7753)

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2022 9:24 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Tom Wolsky wrote:
It seems to be a machine specific

That changes my desktop image only. It doesn't change the login screen image for me.

You can try a Safeboot to clear system cache files...

If you meet all the criteria presented above— then I suspect you are stuck with it until you get to your User.

You can Call Customer Support  (800) MYAPPLE (800–692–7753)

Jun 15, 2022 6:22 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Tom Wolsky wrote:

What determines in Lock Screen background image on an M1 MBP? Previously the Lock Screen used to show an image that represented the system, Big Sur, Catalina, even the Monterey artwork. That doesn't seem to apply to M1 machines. Is there a way perhaps to set what that image is?

Thanks very much.

Like the background /Desktop image(?) Control Command Q....lock screen (?)

Change the desktop picture (background) on your Mac - Apple ...

Jun 16, 2022 9:39 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Tom Wolsky wrote:

Thank you very much Leroy for following through with this.

Please post back if you find a resolve for your issue.

Many complaints about the Monterey forcing the vivid/caricature/ log-in background(s)... and having to beat your brains out trying to make a change.

you can submit your Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback 

Jun 15, 2022 6:33 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Tom Wolsky wrote:

My apologies. I think I didn’t use the correct terminology. I meant the screen that appears after the system is booted to log into the user account.

see if If FileVault and /or Firmware is tuned on you have to get past the initial boot screen

You have to get to the user account before Preferences are read/acknowledged.

If no Filevault, no firmware, no second user (including guest) then you could see your chosen image.

Other wise there is no preferences and you get the generic.

Jun 15, 2022 6:45 PM in response to leroydouglas

The generic screen. On my Intel MBP the generic screen to log in is, in my case, the dark Monterey image. I have an older Mac mini with multiple OSs. Each OS shows the system image, the Mojave sand dune, the Catalina island, the Big Sur coastline, the Monterey art work. This is really helpful on my mini. I can tell what system I’ve booted into. My M1 MBP seems to have an image that has nothing to do with the OS. It would be great if I could find a way to make it show an OS related image, like my Intel computers.

Jun 15, 2022 6:56 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Tom Wolsky wrote:

The generic screen. On my Intel MBP the generic screen to log in is, in my case, the dark Monterey image. I have an older Mac mini with multiple OSs. Each OS shows the system image, the Mojave sand dune, the Catalina island, the Big Sur coastline, the Monterey art work. This is really helpful on my mini. I can tell what system I’ve booted into. My M1 MBP seems to have an image that has nothing to do with the OS. It would be great if I could find a way to make it show an OS related image, like my Intel computers.

>System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Options> set Display login window as "List of users" and test.

Lock screen image on an M1 MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.