Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad mail sync issues

I have 3 devices (MacBook, iPhone and iPad) that work with 2 mail accounts. I can happily send and receive e-mail on any of the 3 devices for a while. After a couple of weeks, the iPad does not fully sync one account with the server anymore. i.e. New mail still is delivered but delete or move actions performed on the iPad are not synced back to the server. I am able to fix the issue in deleting the account on the iPad, reboot iPadOS and create the account again.

This issue occurs about once a month and is very annoying. The iPhone and MacBook have no issues at all. The problem is seen over a period of at least 2 years. Last autumn, I migrated from the older iPad mini to the current iPad mini. So the issue has migrated as well :-(

As it is only related to one device, I suspect there must be something wrong on the iPad. Any suggestions how this can be fixed?

iPad mini 6 Wi-Fi

Posted on Jun 16, 2022 2:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2022 4:11 AM

Reports are occasionally seen in these communities of mail-synchronisation issues between devices.

For email, mail messages are not synchronised between devices. In reality, each device independently synchronises its “view’ of your mailbox folders with the email server of your Mail provider. Where differences are observed between devices, the cause is always a problem with the device (or more precisely, the email client App) maintaining correct synchronisation with the server - and not the devices keeping in step with each-other.

As for the root cause of the issue, it is impossible to provide a definitive answer as to what is causing the issue. Speaking of personal experience, where issues have been experienced, deleting and re-adding the mail account to an affected device has usually resolved the problem.

If your problem is both consistent and repeatable, affecting only a single device, you might be well advised to seek assistance from Apple Support. You can contact the Support Team using the Get Support link at top-right of this page. Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2022 4:11 AM in response to mfehr

Reports are occasionally seen in these communities of mail-synchronisation issues between devices.

For email, mail messages are not synchronised between devices. In reality, each device independently synchronises its “view’ of your mailbox folders with the email server of your Mail provider. Where differences are observed between devices, the cause is always a problem with the device (or more precisely, the email client App) maintaining correct synchronisation with the server - and not the devices keeping in step with each-other.

As for the root cause of the issue, it is impossible to provide a definitive answer as to what is causing the issue. Speaking of personal experience, where issues have been experienced, deleting and re-adding the mail account to an affected device has usually resolved the problem.

If your problem is both consistent and repeatable, affecting only a single device, you might be well advised to seek assistance from Apple Support. You can contact the Support Team using the Get Support link at top-right of this page. Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

iPad mail sync issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.