Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Mail not syncing across devices

I recently moved from Gmail over to iCloud Mail as I use iCloud for everything else so thought I might as well. I am having an issue with the iOS Mail App not syncing properly between my iPhone and iPad.

When I get an email, the notification appears on both devices. But then when I go in on one device and read/archive/delete the notification remains on the other device, as if Mail isn’t syncing in the background. It stays like this until I open the Mail app and let it refresh.

The changes I make are reflected on icloud.com, I have tried restarting both devices, signing out and back into iCloud on both and made 100% sure that Push is turned on (and it clearly works because I do receive the email immediately). I am out of ideas for what to do now, can anyone help?

iPhone XR, iOS 13

Posted on Aug 12, 2020 11:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2020 2:15 PM

Yep, I did some further googling and found that iCloud doesn’t support syncing read status in the background.

How foolish of me to assume that one of the biggest companies in the world, which prides itself on its ecosystem and the easy syncing of things between its devices, might use a pretty basic feature of IMAP.

Back to Gmail I go.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2020 2:15 PM in response to zinacef

Yep, I did some further googling and found that iCloud doesn’t support syncing read status in the background.

How foolish of me to assume that one of the biggest companies in the world, which prides itself on its ecosystem and the easy syncing of things between its devices, might use a pretty basic feature of IMAP.

Back to Gmail I go.

iCloud Mail not syncing across devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.