Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trackpad on the 16inch m1 pro is too big. Need software solution.

For years I've thought the mac trackpads were godlike compared to other laptops but this time they've gone too far. The trackpad is comically massive compared to the cramped keyboard layout and there is no way possible to type and not rest your palms on the trackpad.

So when I type and then move one hand to use the track pad I am having issues because the palm of my other hand is still touching the track pad so everything I do is registering as multitouch etc.

Can we get a software solution to reduce the area of the trackpad that is usable?

Or do I need to start raising both hands in the air every time I click something?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 16, 2022 2:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2022 6:50 PM

Were talking about the new 16inch M1pro right? The tack pad is like 65% of the width of the keyboard. Positioning my hands on a massive angle with my elbows sticking right out in an incredible uncomfortable and painful manar is the only way to avoid touching it while being able to rest my palms on the device.

I dont see anyone being able to type like that.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2022 6:50 PM in response to ku4hx

Were talking about the new 16inch M1pro right? The tack pad is like 65% of the width of the keyboard. Positioning my hands on a massive angle with my elbows sticking right out in an incredible uncomfortable and painful manar is the only way to avoid touching it while being able to rest my palms on the device.

I dont see anyone being able to type like that.

Jun 18, 2022 10:29 AM in response to lobsterghost1

I have to say I disagree @Lobster. Especially if you're playing games like Starcraft 2 where you need one hand on trackpad the other on keyboard. The controls are impossible to manage. I have to use a cloth to cover up half the trackpad or else the input is impossible. You can say it's Starcraft 2's fault or it's Apple's fault. Either way it's a problem. Never had this problem on my 2015 MBP. Nobody needs to re-learn typing ergonomics.

Jun 18, 2022 1:49 PM in response to JupiterSpaceport

The OP was expressing issue with typing, not gaming. You can disagree with me or anyone else here. We aren't Apple. Apple isn't here. We didn't design the trackpads. Complaining about them here with just other users on a user to user only forum is pretty pointless.

If you don't like the trackpad, find an alternative option for your gaming needs. And by all means feel free to provide feedback to Apple via this link --> Feedback - MacBook Pro - Apple

Jun 17, 2022 6:53 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

I have a flat laptop keyboard with palm rests so I can have my hands in the same position every time and know where the keys are. If I hover I cant type without looking at the keys, and if I'm not sitting at a desk the laptop will fall on the ground if I don't secure it with my palms.

The photo shows a situation where the problem would never exist. If I was using a thick keyboard at a desk like that Id have a dedicated palm rest and there wouldn't be any trackpad in the way.

Jun 17, 2022 7:54 PM in response to B-RadOZ

I type on my 16" MacBook Pro keyboard for hours on end and yet I have NEVER, not once had an issue with my hand/palm or anything coming in contact with my trackpad. I learned how to type properly years ago. I know you don't like hearing your typing position is causing this issue for you. But you need to relearn typing ergonomics. Or, if you can't, turn off the trackpad and get a mouse to use instead.

https://www.macbookproslow.com/disable-trackpad-macbook-pro/

Jun 20, 2022 5:17 PM in response to lobsterghost1

@Lobster I know you don't like hearing that what you think is the only way to type is actually NOT the only way and isnt actually viable in many situations, but such is life. Thanks for offering a solution but as mentioned it is not a viable one.

@Lobster
users on a user to user only forum is pretty pointless.

Not if others experienced the same problem and have other solutions or get funned to the feedback link and apple releases a software update.

@JupiterSpaceport:
Nobody needs to re-learn typing ergonomics

Exactly. I could go write some software solution myself faster than I can retrain how ive typed for the last 30 years and I shouldnt have to when the way I type is fine and probably more common than the "correct way".

I have tried typing the correct way and its painfully uncomfortable and seems stupid to debate this especially after pointing out the use cases where my expensive laptop is going to smash on the ground because I didnt escure it on my lap with my palms.

Jun 20, 2022 5:27 PM in response to B-RadOZ

That's fine. But what did you accomplish? Did the trackpad become smaller and more to your liking for disagreeing with me and any of the others who suggested it's your typing style? Nope. I do hope however, your typing style doesn't land your expensive laptop on the floor and possibly smashed. But if it does, just remember your Apple warranty won't cover user created damage.

Cheers

Jun 20, 2022 9:33 PM in response to lobsterghost1

lobsterghost1 wrote:

That's fine. But what did you accomplish? Did the trackpad become smaller and more to your liking for disagreeing with me and any of the others who suggested it's your typing style? Nope. I do hope however, your typing style doesn't land your expensive laptop on the floor and possibly smashed. But if it does, just remember your Apple warranty won't cover user created damage.

Cheers

I agree arguing over why posting an image of an entirely different senario with different ergonomics is not the accapted the accapted answer acomplishes nothing. I explained it several times but thats not enough aparently. Mentioning apples warranty is also not relevant.

Trackpad on the 16inch m1 pro is too big. Need software solution.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.