Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2019 MBP Trackpad - Right Click and Palm Rejection

What is the point of having an absurdly large trackpad, and only making use of less that 10% of it for a key function - bottom corner right click.

30% clicks fail, 20% of clicks are treated as left clicks because you missed the tiny box, 20% don't even register as a click because of palm rejection. A 30% click success rate is pathetic Apple. 100% of right clicks are inconvenient on this monstrosity. A real "innovation" would be to allow the user to select how much of the surface should be dedicated for what action. Don't just slap on more surface area and make it thinner and call it innovation. Actually innovate and create options that users will make use out of.

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 29, 2020 9:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2020 9:33 AM

"What is the point of having an absurdly large trackpad, and only making use of less that 10% of it for a key function - bottom corner right click. "

That's not the point of the larger trackpad. It's for gestures and frankly I'd be okay with it being even larger. It makes gestures much easier and it's using the entire trackpad. Secondly you should use two finger tap for "right click". It's much easier. You don't need to use only a section of the trackpad. Two finger tap works anywhere on the trackpad. You'll need to configure it in System Preferences-Trackpad-Seconday click.

I've never once had an issue with palm rejection. Works 100% with the past 3 MacBook Pro's I've had.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2020 9:33 AM in response to peterdejavu

"What is the point of having an absurdly large trackpad, and only making use of less that 10% of it for a key function - bottom corner right click. "

That's not the point of the larger trackpad. It's for gestures and frankly I'd be okay with it being even larger. It makes gestures much easier and it's using the entire trackpad. Secondly you should use two finger tap for "right click". It's much easier. You don't need to use only a section of the trackpad. Two finger tap works anywhere on the trackpad. You'll need to configure it in System Preferences-Trackpad-Seconday click.

I've never once had an issue with palm rejection. Works 100% with the past 3 MacBook Pro's I've had.

Apr 29, 2020 12:42 PM in response to DPJ

I'm fine with the huge track pad - I love it. The problem is two-finger right click Isn't for everyone, if they offer bottom right corner click, it should be flushed out and QC'd by the user experience team.

The problem is two-finger right click Isn't for everyone. Palm Rejection is particularly horrible only for this bottom right corner click setting - which a lot of people prefer. Palm rejection works great otherwise. I was just pointing out the absurdity of how these two features clash in an unbearable way. It's just hilarious how so much R&D and user experience testing goes into these products and somehow this stuff still comes up.

Apr 29, 2020 1:00 PM in response to peterdejavu

"Palm Rejection is particularly horrible only for this bottom right corner click setting - which a lot of people prefer."

While I can understand your personal need for the right-click feature in the corner I have to say (and not trying to be mean) that you are very wrong. Even in the Windows world the majority of the laptops use two finger tap. They took the 2 finger scrolling idea from Macs. The majority just isn't right clicking over in the bottom corner.

Apple put it there for customers like you who want the old way of doing things but Apple does do a great deal of R&D user experience testing. To be honest you're the first person in many years I've heard that wants to old skool way of right clicking in the far corner. Time to make a change because the industry isn't going backwards.

Also the Palm Rejection feature is only for when you're typing and your palms touch the trackpad.

2019 MBP Trackpad - Right Click and Palm Rejection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.