You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How change straight quote marks to curly quote marks in Final Cut?

Is there a way to automatically get curly quote marks in on-screen text instead of straight quote marks? This would not be dependent on the font chosen.

Thanks!

Duncan

Mac Pro, macOS 12.3

Posted on Jun 16, 2022 10:02 AM

6 replies

Jun 16, 2022 11:53 AM in response to Duncan Knowles

I believe for most fonts

Option + [ gives you a curly double quote open, and

Shift + Option [ gives you a curly double quote close.

(as an aside - Option + ] gives you a single curly quote open and

Shift + Option + ] gives you a single curly quote close)

On thinking about it, not sure that Find and Replace can distinguish between the open and closing quote marks as when you created the title, a single keys was used to place the straight mark in both locations.

MtD

Jun 16, 2022 11:00 AM in response to Duncan Knowles

Right click on the *selected* Text in the Inspector and select in the popup menu, select Substitutions > Replace Quotes:

For a complete explanation of how this feature works... you'll have to look it up. I think the "checked" settings only "stick" on a Title by Title (or text object by text object basis) unless you change global system settings in Keyboard > Text Preferences.) That said, Replace Quotes may only work if the settings are set up in Keyboard Preferences...

I do know that you can apply a Title, right click in the Text inspector, Set Smart Quotes, and all the straight quotes you use from that point on will automatically change. You can go back and unselect Smart Quotes, the curly quotes already applied will remain, but further typing will maintain any straight quotes you use from that point on.

This feature works on ALL selectable text in FCPX, including Renaming Clips.

How change straight quote marks to curly quote marks in Final Cut?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.