Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my iPhone not hold my 'Trust This Computer' Setting?

I have a new HP Laptop running WIN 11 (x64) with the latest version of iTunes x64 installed. Every time I connect my iPhone 12 Pro to my laptop via the USB to Lightning cable, my iPhone asks if I trust this computer which I acknowledge with Enable. For whatever reason, the iPhone (or iOS) won't hold this setting and forces me to answer this setting every single time. Sometimes, it only asks me to allow this device to access photos and videos. Again, I select "Allow" but it won't hold the setting and either asks me one above the above repeatedly every time I disconnect and re-connect the iPhone.

Very annoying. I've read others having the same issue and I've tried what they suggested including making sure WIN 11 has the latest driver, etc. No go. The latest iOS is also on my iPhone (15.5).

Is this a WIN 11 problem or an iOS 15.5 (iPhone) problem? How do I fix this so my settings hold.

iPhone 12 Pro

Posted on Jun 16, 2022 11:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2022 1:28 PM

Hi n3ntjmatt,

There are a couple of things you can check on, iTunes Mobile Device Helper and Location Privacy settings.

You can find both here, in the About the 'Trust This Computer' alert on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support article.

Change your settings for trusted computers
Your device remembers the computers you've chosen to trust.

If you don't want to trust a computer or other device anymore, change the privacy settings on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Location & Privacy. Now when you connect to formerly trusted computers, the Trust alert will ask you whether you trust that computer. 

And found in the section, "Get help"

If you downloaded iTunes for Windows from the Microsoft Store, make sure that iTunes Mobile Device Helper is enabled as a startup item.

Either of these steps could help with resolving the pop-up message for "Trust This Computer?", as the computer will remain trusted unless you change computers or change your device.

Have a great day!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2022 1:28 PM in response to n3ntjmatt

Hi n3ntjmatt,

There are a couple of things you can check on, iTunes Mobile Device Helper and Location Privacy settings.

You can find both here, in the About the 'Trust This Computer' alert on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support article.

Change your settings for trusted computers
Your device remembers the computers you've chosen to trust.

If you don't want to trust a computer or other device anymore, change the privacy settings on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Location & Privacy. Now when you connect to formerly trusted computers, the Trust alert will ask you whether you trust that computer. 

And found in the section, "Get help"

If you downloaded iTunes for Windows from the Microsoft Store, make sure that iTunes Mobile Device Helper is enabled as a startup item.

Either of these steps could help with resolving the pop-up message for "Trust This Computer?", as the computer will remain trusted unless you change computers or change your device.

Have a great day!

Jun 20, 2022 8:27 AM in response to Dorain1

I did the reset option you listed above. Now when I connect my iPhone 12 Pro to my laptop, I get a repeating message each time saying "Allow this device to access photos and videos"... with Allow and Don't Allow choices. I choose Allow but it doesn't seem like iOS saves this setting and it asks each time. I am trying to get my iOS to save this setting and not ask me every time.

Why does my iPhone not hold my 'Trust This Computer' Setting?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.