Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exchange Password Required for Mac notification

Continuously getting pop up on my Mac ”EXCHANGE PASSWORD REQUIRED: Enter your password for test@example.com in Internet Accounts.” The password is definitely correct.

Someone suggested the following, which helped to remedy the issue, but the conversation is closed and I don't know, if this was a temporary or permanent solution:

Go to Mail -> Preferences -> selected the exchange account -> server settings -> uncheck "automatically manage connection settings"

When I follow the steps, I see Internal and External URL fields. Only the External URL has information (https://outlook.office365.com/EWS/Exchange.asmx), the Internal URL is blank. Do I need to add something for Internal URL, or can this be blank for email to work properly?

Thanks.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook

Posted on Jun 16, 2022 3:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2022 12:04 PM

Thank you scampo2426 for your comment. I am very happy to see your comment, confirming my experience and validates all I have found so far. I have been researching this for almost two weeks with no avail. It is just very puzzling to me and frustrating, that two major tech companies don't see the need to fix this issue, as you mentioned, has apparently been going on for a long time.

With that in mind, I will try the following, which was suggested by someone as a remedy, but I don't have proof, that it was a permanent fix. Should the notification still appear with this setting, I will definitly update this discussion, should it be still open, since the notification shows up randomly.

Go to Mail -> Preferences -> selected the exchange account -> server settings -> uncheck "automatically manage connection settings".

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2022 12:04 PM in response to scampo2426

Thank you scampo2426 for your comment. I am very happy to see your comment, confirming my experience and validates all I have found so far. I have been researching this for almost two weeks with no avail. It is just very puzzling to me and frustrating, that two major tech companies don't see the need to fix this issue, as you mentioned, has apparently been going on for a long time.

With that in mind, I will try the following, which was suggested by someone as a remedy, but I don't have proof, that it was a permanent fix. Should the notification still appear with this setting, I will definitly update this discussion, should it be still open, since the notification shows up randomly.

Go to Mail -> Preferences -> selected the exchange account -> server settings -> uncheck "automatically manage connection settings".

Jun 20, 2022 8:05 PM in response to Ocillus

Apparently this is related to the 2 factor authentication which I cannot turn off. Microsoft asked to use app password with the Apple Mail client, which I tried, but it is not authenticating. Still looking to hopefully find a permanent solution besides deleting and adding the Exchange account over and over again. Thanks.

Jun 16, 2022 11:38 PM in response to Ocillus

There is no password box in Apple > System Preferences(app) > Internet Accounts.

There is a Password box, which is blank in Mail > Preferences > Accounts > Server Settings. Even with the Password box being blank Mail does work.

The notification only comes up out of the blue once in a while. When this happens, emails are not being received on the Mac, but they are being received on the mobile device. Logging in to outlook.com with the account that causes the notification will fix the issue and stops the notification temporarily, until someday it happens again. It is very annoying to always having to deal with this.

Jun 17, 2022 7:43 AM in response to juttabai

Hmmm true, I haven’t try going to mail preferences before. This continuously happen on my MacBookAir and I just go to settings to remove the internet account and add the mailbox again. It works sometimes.

But I downloaded an app called “web catalog” and it is used for making websites into desktop apps. I use it to generate a outlook desktop app, and two mailboxes can be signed in at one time.

Jun 21, 2022 1:46 PM in response to juttabai

"There is a Password box, which is blank in Mail > Preferences > Accounts > Server Settings. Even with the Password box being blank Mail does work. "

If there is no password box for your Outlook account, then your system is faulting. All mail accounts have passwords required unless you somehow manage to remove the requirement.

Have you considered reinstalling your POS?

Jul 1, 2022 2:52 AM in response to juttabai

I get this on my new MacBook Air and iMac. I have concluded that it is a coding error in the software and cannot be fixed so far as I can tell. Looking at the internet, it's be going on for ages and no one has a clue how to fix it despite people churning out the same ideas time after time, I presume they don't have the problem.

I have done all that has been suggested to no avail. I have found over very many years that it's very typical of Microsoft and, I am now realising, to my disappointment, Apple, to allow these software glitches to continue.

Exchange Password Required for Mac notification

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.