Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music doesn’t always play next song chosen

When I’m listening to a playlist and then select another song (from a different playlist, etc.) and select Play Next, it doesn’t play that song next more often than it does.

I’ve tried a few other streaming services and they’re all pretty intuitive and work in a straight-forward way as far as selecting a Play Next feature goes, but it’s spotty here. Any idea how to get it to work every time?

iPhone 11, iOS 15

Posted on Jun 16, 2022 8:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2022 8:37 PM

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for getting back to you so late. Other, more pressing problems have cropped up with the phone in the mean time.

To address your suggestions:

1) I don't know exactly what you mean by testing multiple wi-fi networks. If you mean try to be on other wi-fi networks while trying to use the Play Next option to see if it functions any more correctly, a) I also have this same problem with downloaded music so I don't understand how a different wi-fi network would affect the play order, and b) if it did work on other wi-fi networks, I'd still have the problem of it not working on my own wi-fi network, which would still be an issue.

2) I've had this issue with both not-downloaded as well as downloaded music. (And this frankly would remain a problem if it didn't happen with downloaded music but still did with non-downloaded music, as I don't want to have to download everything I want to listen to on the spur-of-the-moment.)

3) I may give this option a shot, but to clarify, would I need to do this for every time I want to use Play Next on a particular track? And if not each time, just the once to try out the result?

4) See #2 above (i.e. I've had this issue with non-downloaded as well as downloaded songs, so it doesn't seem to be dependent on whether or not it's in my library).

5) None of these have been purchased. It's all purely issues while streaming or playing downloaded playlists.

If it helps narrow anything down, the last time I tried to use a Play Next insertion in the middle of a song (with a downloaded track), it stacked the requested song four songs later. Meaning, it wasn't the next one set to play (as one would expect), nor the one after that, but was put into the upcoming playlist four songs after the one that was currently playing.

Any further suggestions would be much appreciated.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2022 8:37 PM in response to destiny241

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for getting back to you so late. Other, more pressing problems have cropped up with the phone in the mean time.

To address your suggestions:

1) I don't know exactly what you mean by testing multiple wi-fi networks. If you mean try to be on other wi-fi networks while trying to use the Play Next option to see if it functions any more correctly, a) I also have this same problem with downloaded music so I don't understand how a different wi-fi network would affect the play order, and b) if it did work on other wi-fi networks, I'd still have the problem of it not working on my own wi-fi network, which would still be an issue.

2) I've had this issue with both not-downloaded as well as downloaded music. (And this frankly would remain a problem if it didn't happen with downloaded music but still did with non-downloaded music, as I don't want to have to download everything I want to listen to on the spur-of-the-moment.)

3) I may give this option a shot, but to clarify, would I need to do this for every time I want to use Play Next on a particular track? And if not each time, just the once to try out the result?

4) See #2 above (i.e. I've had this issue with non-downloaded as well as downloaded songs, so it doesn't seem to be dependent on whether or not it's in my library).

5) None of these have been purchased. It's all purely issues while streaming or playing downloaded playlists.

If it helps narrow anything down, the last time I tried to use a Play Next insertion in the middle of a song (with a downloaded track), it stacked the requested song four songs later. Meaning, it wasn't the next one set to play (as one would expect), nor the one after that, but was put into the upcoming playlist four songs after the one that was currently playing.

Any further suggestions would be much appreciated.

Jun 18, 2022 7:51 AM in response to reay71

Welcome Reay71,

It sounds like this is about: Add music to your queue to play next on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Android device - Apple Support

If you haven't yet, we'd try the following (testing after each step):

1. Test multiple Wi-Fi networks.
  2. Download the song you want to 'Play Next'.
  3. If using Sync Library in Settings > Music, toggle the sync off and then back on to test it out. (Keep in mind, doing this will remove all downloaded music.)
  4. If the song is in your music library, try deleting it and adding it back again to test.
  5. If the song was purchased, remove the song and redownload it to test.

If you've tried all of the above steps and the issue continues, then it would be best to partner with Apple Support They'll need to dig deeper to provide you with a solution.

Wishing you well, cheers.

Jul 11, 2022 7:31 AM in response to reay71

reay71,

Tapping 'Play Next' on a song should add it to the top of your Play Next queue. In the article previously shared, you can always view an rearrange the queue with these steps:

"See and change what plays next

1. Tap the song that's playing at the bottom of your screen.
  2. In the lower-right corner of your screen, tap Playing Next the Playing Next icon.
  3. From here, you can see and edit your Playing Next and Autoplay queues.
    • Reorder music: Drag the three lines the Reorder icon next to a song up or down.
    • Remove a song: Swipe left over a song, then tap Remove.

iPhone showing music that's being rearranged on the Playing Next screen

If you play music that's not in your queue, you'll see an option to clear your music queue. If you choose Clear, then the music in your queue is replaced with the music you've selected to play."

You can also find helpful information here: Queue up your music on iPhone - Apple Support

If the issue remains after closing the Music app and a normal restart of your iPhone, reach out to Apple Support directly to further assist.

Close an app on your iPhone or iPod touch

Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

Contact - Official Apple Support

Cheers.

Apple Music doesn’t always play next song chosen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.