Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Digital USB -C multi port adapter

Have purchased an Apple multi port USB-C adapter. In fact 2 of them @ $99 each from Apple. I have been trying to use them on an iPad 11 pro (2018) and an iPad Pro 2021 12.9” (2021) with no charging. I have written to Apple support a couple of times with no response as to why I can’t get the charger port to work. I was under the impression that it had a charger port that I could use whilst using the HDMI port. It doesn’t work at all! Is there a fix for this? Or have I blown my money! They are over 12 months old now,

Posted on Jun 17, 2022 1:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2022 2:51 AM

As per Apple's product page, the adapter is definitely supposed to charge via USB-C the device while using the HDMI output port and, in case, the regular USB port (input/output):

USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter - Apple

Your iPads are listed as compatible with the adapter.

You said they are 12 months old. Is it the first time that you experienced the charging issue or did they work in the past 12 month and only now you encountered the issue?

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2022 2:51 AM in response to cherubshirl

As per Apple's product page, the adapter is definitely supposed to charge via USB-C the device while using the HDMI output port and, in case, the regular USB port (input/output):

USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter - Apple

Your iPads are listed as compatible with the adapter.

You said they are 12 months old. Is it the first time that you experienced the charging issue or did they work in the past 12 month and only now you encountered the issue?

Jun 17, 2022 5:14 AM in response to LotusPilot

As LotusPilot said, it's probably a current-related issue (ampere).

I've found a thread addressing a similar issue with the adapter (using a Mac in this case):

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/419478/does-the-av-multiport-adapter-charge-big-macbook-pros

It seems that the adapter "reduces" the current flow.

Here's and Apple's page containing further specifications about the adapter.

About the Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter - Apple Support

Jun 17, 2022 5:08 AM in response to cherubshirl

Be aware that most models of iPad require a Power Adapter rated at 12W or greater to reliably charge. 5W Power Adapters intended for older models of iPhone are inadequate to charge an iPad; if the iPad charges at all, charging will be very slow.

When using a Power Adapter with your USB-C Digital AV Adapter, you will require a USB-C Power Adapter that supports USB PD (Power Delivery), rated at 20W or greater. Apple USB-C Power Adapters support this standard. If you are using a third-party Power Adapter, check its specifications; if the Power Adapter does not support USB PD, it is unlikely to be suitable.

Jun 17, 2022 5:34 AM in response to cherubshirl

cherubshirl wrote:

Hi Lotus Pilot, now I’m not sure if I have tried a 20 W power. I will buy one and see if that works.

As your iPad has a USB-C port, it should have been supplied from new with a standard USB-C 20W Power Adapter.

If purchasing a new Power Adapter, an Apple 30W USB-C Power Adapter may be more useful - as this has sufficient capacity to both power the AV Adapter and similtaneously charge the iPad at its maximum supported rate (20W). The “spare” 10W can usefully power the Digital Multiport Adapter and, if used, additional USB devices connected to the USB Type-A port.

Jun 18, 2022 5:45 AM in response to LotusPilot

Hi LotusPilot, I am using the plug that came with my iPad, it doesn’t even charge if the HDMI is not connected. The two multi port adapters I think are duds. I purchased a cheap VGA multi port adapter from an office supply store for A$24.00 and it works fine. So I’ll just stick with that. Obviously the A$99.00 ones I purchased from Apple were from a bad lot. What a waste of A200.00 😩

thanks for your help anyway. Appreciate it.

Digital USB -C multi port adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.