Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to select Outlook desktop program as default email client

I have searched this online but every article I've seen ignores the fact that when I open the Apple Mail app, a window pops up asking me to "Choose a mail account provider ... " and the "Preferences" menu option is grayed out. (I suppose I can go ahead and set up something temporarily, but this seems like it should be unnecessary.)

If I close the pop-up window, the Apple Mail application closes entirely. I also tried right-clicking on an email address and looking for an info option, but I am not presented with that either. (I made the switch from Windows to Apple, but I'm still having some adjustment pain.)

Thanks for any tips anyone can provide!

Email client: Microsoft Outlook for Mac Ver. 16.58

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Jun 17, 2022 8:12 AM

6 replies

Jun 17, 2022 9:20 AM in response to johnjliu

johnjliu wrote:

That window you kindly pasted the image of ... that's from "Preferences". Correct?

If so, as I mentioned, my "Preferences" menu option is grayed out. Is there another way to get to this?

If not, how do I get to this menu? THANK YOU!

Edit: I just added a screenshot of what I see.

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/7e277d36-eadf-4427-96e6-6b6cce0ce495

? Your Mail Preferences is grayed out?

Quit Mail, and relaunch it holding down the Shift key and test

See if there is anything here—

Change the default web browser or email app on your Mac

https://eshop.macsales.com/blog/76346-set-default-account-macos-mail/

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/set-an-account-as-the-default-in-outlook-for-mac-1a085d36-db97-4230-9a40-c332364426e0

If you don’t already have an account setup in Mail, you will need to add one in order to access Preferences.

If you have an iCloud account, you could opt to enable iCloud mail quickly just to access the Mail

Preferences window to select Outlook. Then you could remove the iCloud account from the Mail app.

Open your desktop outlook application and go to mail then preferences

Jun 17, 2022 11:51 AM in response to PRP_53

I was unaware that you can start an application in safe mode without your computer being in safe mode, if that's what you are saying. At any rate, I did not attempt this, but I found a workaround by going through the motions of creating an iCloud email address and then - upon learning that my name was already taken, of course - canceling the process. Afterwards, you are presented with a blank window and the "Preferences" menu option no longer is grayed out, allowing me to set the default email reader. It is working now on my MacBook M1 Pro. (I will repeat this process on my MacBook Air later.)

Thank you all for your suggestions! As much as Apple prides itself on the user experience, I do find situations like this where things don't feel as smooth or intuitive as I would expect. The world is not a perfect place, though. I still love both my Macs. Thanks again!

How to select Outlook desktop program as default email client

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.