Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 MacBook Pro 16" stops charging (not closed, not near 80%) -- requires restart

I'm recently (as of June 17, 2022) seeing an issue in the last couple weeks on my M1 MacBook Pro 16. Charging just stops working and requires a full shutdown and restart to fix. Not sure if it correlates with Monterey version... currently running 12.4, fyi. Charging by either USB-C or MagSafe makes no difference, same issue. I've also swapped out USB-C charging cables (Apple original and 3rd party) to no avail as well as cleaning contacts, checking cables, etc. And also NOT near 80% charge... typically I notice it's happening when the charge level drops below 50% which I then notice. The ONLY solution I've found is to fully shut down (NOT restart) the whole computer for at least 30 seconds (which I understand in the M1s is equivalent to resetting the SMC in the old intel-based Macs). After full shut down and restart, same cables, same chargers regardless of type... it just "magically" starts charging again. So, something is going awry internally with the charging system! I expect this is will be fixed with a software or firmware update eventually. Let's get this fixed Apple!

Same issue reported by this person on YouTube: MacBook Pro M1 16" suddenly stops charging/cannot charge/have to reboot (read description for more) - YouTube

Posted on Jun 17, 2022 10:19 AM

9 replies

Jun 17, 2022 2:26 PM in response to ericsmo

We are all users trying to help.

We certainly listen to your valued feedback to better understand what further steps we can take.

While many of us have not experienced your particular issue, we strive to help you find the best answer utilizing Apple Support Documentation.

If we don’t help, who will?

Contact Customer Support by phone or chat:

Jun 17, 2022 11:28 AM in response to ericsmo

ericsmo wrote:

I'm recently (as of June 17, 2022) seeing an issue in the last couple weeks on my M1 MacBook Pro 16. Charging just stops working and requires a full shutdown and restart to fix. Not sure if it correlates with Monterey version... currently running 12.4, fyi. Charging by either USB-C or MagSafe makes no difference, same issue. I've also swapped out USB-C charging cables (Apple original and 3rd party) to no avail as well as cleaning contacts, checking cables, etc. And also NOT near 80% charge... typically I notice it's happening when the charge level drops below 50% which I then notice. The ONLY solution I've found is to fully shut down (NOT restart) the whole computer for at least 30 seconds (which I understand in the M1s is equivalent to resetting the SMC in the old intel-based Macs). After full shut down and restart, same cables, same chargers regardless of type... it just "magically" starts charging again. So, something is going awry internally with the charging system! I expect this is will be fixed with a software or firmware update eventually. Let's get this fixed Apple!

Same issue reported by this person on YouTube: MacBook Pro M1 16" suddenly stops charging/cannot charge/have to reboot (read description for more) - YouTube

try SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support to sort anomalies.

Jun 17, 2022 2:00 PM in response to Smilin-Brian

@Smilin-Brian I've already reviewed Apple's documentation on this issue which is NOT helpful. In addition, if you re-read my initial post I clearly stated that I used MULTIPLE power adapters as well as MULTIPLE cables, including USB-C AND MagSafe. So, given that I went to all of that trouble, don't you think I would have read the readily available "easy answer" documentation that Apple provides for this general issue (of which this is NOT an example).

Jun 17, 2022 2:06 PM in response to ericsmo

For anyone else tempted to respond and offer their generic (meaning you have NOT had this specific issue) or obvious (as in... read the documentation) without actually reading my post and spending more than 1/4 second thinking about it or without watching the referenced YouTube video, please don't bother. If it was a "generic" fix, it would be fixed.

If you are a REAL user of this device who REALLY had this problem and you REALLY fixed it, then please educate me (and everyone else here). Otherwise, go pretend to know something somewhere else.

I'm mostly posting this here so Apple understands that this is a REAL issue that needs to be addressed with a REAL fix (hence including the link to the YouTube video that demonstrates this exact issue). Apple - please fix this, it's annoying and otherwise this is a really, really, really fantastic machine (best Mac I've ever owned, knocking my old Pismo down a notch to 2nd place).

Jul 5, 2022 6:03 PM in response to Smilin-Brian

I have this same issue. As of a month ago, on 12.4, M1 MBP 16" with intermittent inability to charge through any port with an Apple charger that works on other Macs. Restarting does work for me, but nothing else does.

@Smilin-Brian, it's pretty clear to anyone who actually needs this thread that you're just pasting boilerplate and creating noise. I don't find that helpful.

M1 MacBook Pro 16" stops charging (not closed, not near 80%) -- requires restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.