Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do my AirTags chirp for a few seconds randomly?

I recently bought 2 airtags and have added them to my "find my". The problem is every now and then they chirp for a few seconds. Whey do they do this?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 11, iOS 15

Posted on Jun 17, 2022 9:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2022 10:22 AM

If they detect their own physical movement w/o one of their “paired” AppleID devices being nearby and “on/communicating” via Bluetooth and/or UWB they will do this.

This is a personal safety mechanism intended to alert folks that they are possibly being “tracked” w/o their knowledge.

See:

What to do if you get an alert that an AirTag, Find My network accessory, or set of AirPods is with you - Apple Support

and

An update on AirTag and unwanted tracking - Apple

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2022 10:22 AM in response to kitycat10

If they detect their own physical movement w/o one of their “paired” AppleID devices being nearby and “on/communicating” via Bluetooth and/or UWB they will do this.

This is a personal safety mechanism intended to alert folks that they are possibly being “tracked” w/o their knowledge.

See:

What to do if you get an alert that an AirTag, Find My network accessory, or set of AirPods is with you - Apple Support

and

An update on AirTag and unwanted tracking - Apple

Jun 17, 2022 12:49 PM in response to kitycat10

Again, that behavior certainly “sounds” as if the tags are at times are NOT detecting a paired bluetooth / UWB device. (and movement is being constantly provided by the live, breathing creature)

Although the chirping tag in a room - presumably motionless - is for now inexplicable.

Bluetooth is short range to begin with, and it’s freq is substantially attenuated by moisture (e.g. a dog’s body); and the AirTag is a VERY power-limited device.

This might not be the best application of AirTags; it will only track the dog if he/she is near a “reporting” device.

A dog romping loose in the woods - as mine has done on occasion 😣 - will remain “unlocated.”

Why do my AirTags chirp for a few seconds randomly?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.