Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airtag Unknown problem

This one even has Apple baffled..I have an XR with latest software. Bought Airtag to track our pet. Set up as instructed. Airtag showing up on "Find my" BUT, it is showing as always with me. i.e. if I walk down the garden the tag shows as still being with me, even though it is 100ft away. So wherever my phone is the Airtag is with it. I have reset EVERYTHING. Location settings, Network settings, even tried it on a different phone and still the same issue. Apple said send it back to them which I did. New one received this morning and still the same issue. This screenshot was taken with the tracker still in the house.ANY ideas welcome.

Posted on Aug 16, 2022 4:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2022 5:40 AM

UPDATE. went to the store last nigh and brought the Airtag. Left it in the car and once inside the store it started showing where the Airtag was and giving directions to it. S both airtag and phone working as they should. SO seems that the problem is when the Airtag is in my home. Something affecting it but I don't know what. Ideas welcome.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2022 5:40 AM in response to Gettafeck

UPDATE. went to the store last nigh and brought the Airtag. Left it in the car and once inside the store it started showing where the Airtag was and giving directions to it. S both airtag and phone working as they should. SO seems that the problem is when the Airtag is in my home. Something affecting it but I don't know what. Ideas welcome.

Aug 17, 2022 6:02 AM in response to Gettafeck

As already posted, Airtags don’t directly communicate w/ the mobile network nor do they have even the vaguest idea of their location.

They DEPEND on a “relaying device” and the FindMy Network to provide nearly all functionality.

That “relaying device” could be your device, or nearly anyone elses.

Additionally, Airtags don’t continuously update their position like “heavy” devices do; as that would be far too power intensive for their minuscule amount of available power.

Aug 16, 2022 5:25 AM in response to Gettafeck

airtags do not have gps

airtags only means of communication is bluetooth so about a 30 meters range

so if it moves outside of your range and can't piggybag to the internet using other iphones with bluetooth enabled

then it's out of range

it's sort of why they don't advatise it for pets, only being able to track them when they are within 30 maters of other iphone owners is not ideal.

Airtag Unknown problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.