Airtag showing wrong location?

My AirTag is in my handbag, (which is huge and normally very obvious) its showing that it was seen at home 10 mins ago, but it says "AirTag Not Reachable", and I've stood in every inch of my house, and it can't be reached.

I've literally ripped the whole house apart (which is easy, I don't own much stuff and most rooms are empty) and after 3 days of constant searching, I'm at a total loss.

I've read other articles showing that peoples AirTags giving the incorrect location, how do I know if that also happening to me? It seems to update ever 30 mins showing its here but i'm at a total loss.

The help article on fixing AirTags only works if they're in your possession. Is there anything else I can do?

AirTag

Posted on Jun 22, 2023 9:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2023 2:40 PM

As Rudegar has already mentioned, the AirTag relies on Bluetooth to send a signal to the Apple servers. In turn, those servers update its location to the Find My app on your iPhone or to a web browser on a computer.

To make it there, that signal must first be "picked up" by an iPhone ... yours or someone else's. If this AirTag is currently "buried" into your handbag, its signal may not be able to exit that bag, or, even if it does, an iPhone would need to be nearby to pick it up.

Hopefully, you will be able to locate your handbag. You can then try a simple experiment. That would be to remove the AirTag from inside the bag and temporarily attached it to its outside. Now see if your iPhone can properly locate it. A Bluetooth range is roughly 30-50 ft. As such, leaving the bag in one location, move about your home, with your iPhone, to see if it still appears in the Find My app on your phone.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2023 2:40 PM in response to CatLauer

As Rudegar has already mentioned, the AirTag relies on Bluetooth to send a signal to the Apple servers. In turn, those servers update its location to the Find My app on your iPhone or to a web browser on a computer.

To make it there, that signal must first be "picked up" by an iPhone ... yours or someone else's. If this AirTag is currently "buried" into your handbag, its signal may not be able to exit that bag, or, even if it does, an iPhone would need to be nearby to pick it up.

Hopefully, you will be able to locate your handbag. You can then try a simple experiment. That would be to remove the AirTag from inside the bag and temporarily attached it to its outside. Now see if your iPhone can properly locate it. A Bluetooth range is roughly 30-50 ft. As such, leaving the bag in one location, move about your home, with your iPhone, to see if it still appears in the Find My app on your phone.

Airtag showing wrong location?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.