Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

long screen recording

Hi! I have a MacBook Air M1 2020. How much can I screen record with QuickTime? Like is there a limit?

Also if I leave recording for a few hours and I leave home and my storage runs out will the recording be saved automatically or will I lose the footage?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Jun 18, 2022 6:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2022 8:22 AM

then you spoke with someone that is mistaken. just because they work for apple doesn't mean that they know everything. no one can know everything. when a recording gets interrupted for any reason, that footage is not saved. sorry.

6 replies

Jun 18, 2022 7:33 AM in response to ladybug119

as far as a time limit as to how much you can record, I'm unsure if there is one. the longest recording I've done so far was a 4.5 hour screen recording. but I must mention that I previously had issues with longer recordings. when I was attempting recordings of more than an hour, after about 50 minutes the recording would stop and an error would pop up. the recording would not be saved. I have learned that you should use "desktop" as your "save to" location. the error would only occur when the "save to" location was set to anything other than "desktop". so I now use "desktop" for ALL of my recordings and haven't had an issue since.

as far as your second question, if the recording stops because of "running out of space" then, no, the recording will not be saved. and if you are running that low on space, you may want to consider moving some of your data to an external drive. if your free space gets low enough, the Mac can actually stop functioning.

Jun 20, 2022 7:34 AM in response to ladybug119

ladybug119 wrote:

ok thanks! so I guess just prepare with storage

yes, having sufficient free space is very important. not just for screen recordings, but for the proper operation of macOS. everything from the speed at which the Mac operates, but also for Time Machine functions, etc. and if the free space gets low enough, the Mac can stop working altogether. but freeing up space does NOT mean losing your data.

you can purchase an external HDD or SSD of sufficient capacity and move your larger files (videos, pictures, documents, etc...) to it. once they are on the EHD, you can simply erase the same files from your internal drive. and, if it's just going to be used for storage, you can use an HDD and save a few bucks over the cost of an SSD. FWIW, i personally keep very little on my internal drive.

long screen recording

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.